St. Johns Berkeley Parish, South Carolina

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Huguenots)
(scavenging)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
=== History  ===
 
=== History  ===
  
Also known as '''Biggin Church'''. It is now a ruin. The original Biggin Church was completed in 1712. It burned in a forest fire in 1775, but was restored. British troops burned it again during the Revolutionary War in 1781, and it was again restored. In 1886 another forest fire left this building in ruins as it has remained ever since.<ref>"Biggin Church" in ''Historical Marker Database'' at http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=23453 (accessed 28 May 2011).</ref>
+
Also known as '''Biggin Church'''. It is now a ruin. The original Biggin Church was completed in 1712. It burned in a forest fire in 1775, but was restored. British troops burned it again during the Revolutionary War in 1781, and it was again restored. In 1886 another forest fire left this building in ruins, and since then the bricks have been scavenged from all but two walls.<ref>"Biggin Church" in ''Historical Marker Database'' at http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=23453 (accessed 28 May 2011).</ref>  
  
 
A Huguenot congregation met at a building near Santee Circle, Berkeley, South Carolina, in St. John's Berkeley Parish before 1701.<ref>[http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=40121 Site of Huguenot Church of Saint John's Berkeley], The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.</ref>  
 
A Huguenot congregation met at a building near Santee Circle, Berkeley, South Carolina, in St. John's Berkeley Parish before 1701.<ref>[http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=40121 Site of Huguenot Church of Saint John's Berkeley], The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.</ref>  
Line 17: Line 17:
 
*Borders [[St. James Goose Creek Parish, South Carolina|St. James Goose Creek]], [[St. Matthews Parish, South Carolina|St. Matthew's]], and [[St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish, South Carolina|St. Thomas and St. Denis]] parishes. For a map, see: [http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/guide/CountyRecords/parishes.htm Early parishes in South Carolina]. An overlay of districts is available at [http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html Carolana.com].
 
*Borders [[St. James Goose Creek Parish, South Carolina|St. James Goose Creek]], [[St. Matthews Parish, South Carolina|St. Matthew's]], and [[St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish, South Carolina|St. Thomas and St. Denis]] parishes. For a map, see: [http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/guide/CountyRecords/parishes.htm Early parishes in South Carolina]. An overlay of districts is available at [http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html Carolana.com].
  
St. John's Berkeley Parish served [[Berkeley County, South Carolina|Berkeley]] County and historic [[Charleston District, South Carolina|Charleston District]].  
+
St. John's Berkeley Parish served [[Berkeley County, South Carolina|Berkeley]] County and historic [[Charleston District, South Carolina|Charleston District]].
  
 
=== Resources  ===
 
=== Resources  ===

Revision as of 19:17, 28 May 2011

United States Gotoarrow.png South Carolina Gotoarrow.png St. John's Berkeley Parish

Contents

History

Also known as Biggin Church. It is now a ruin. The original Biggin Church was completed in 1712. It burned in a forest fire in 1775, but was restored. British troops burned it again during the Revolutionary War in 1781, and it was again restored. In 1886 another forest fire left this building in ruins, and since then the bricks have been scavenged from all but two walls.[1]

A Huguenot congregation met at a building near Santee Circle, Berkeley, South Carolina, in St. John's Berkeley Parish before 1701.[2]

Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.[3]

Founded

St. John's Berkeley Parish (Moncks Corner, Berkeley, SC) was created in 1708 from the northern part of St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish in the northwest part of Berkeley (1682-1768) County.

Boundary

St. John's Berkeley Parish served Berkeley County and historic Charleston District.

Resources

Research Guides

Biography

  • Weems, Mason Locke and Peter Horry. The Life of General Francis Marion, a Celebrated Partisan Officer, in the Revolutionary War, Against the British and Tories in South Carolina and Georgia. Philadelphia, Pa.: Joseph Allen, 1852. Digital version at Google Books. [Gen. Marion was born in 1732 in St. John's Parish, S.C.]

Cemetery

  • Smith, Henry A.M. "Inscriptions on the Monuments in the Church-yard of the Parish Church of St. John's Berkeley," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 11, No. 3 (Jul. 1910):171-183. Digital version at JSTOR ($).

Cemetery records for Hanover Plantation, in St. John's Parish, Berkeley, have also been transcribed:

  • Dwight, H.R. "Inscriptions from Tombstones in Graveyard at Hanover Plantation, St. John's Parish, Berkeley County, S.C.," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 2 (Apr. 1940):74. Digital version at JSTOR ($).

Census

Names of white householders and statistics on the numbers of white and slave tithes between the ages of 16 and 60 are listed in St. John's Berkeley Road Commissioners Minutes 1760-1798, a volume kept at SCDAH. Abstract:

  • "Lists of Inhabitants of St. John's Berkeley Parish, 1762-1764," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 16, No. 3 (Summer 1988):122-125. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 16

Military Records

  • "List of the Upper District of St. John's Parish: 31st Jan. 1756," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Jul. 1922):92-93; digital version at JSTOR ($). Lists the names of many men of military age in the parish.

Parish History

For a history of the parish, see Chapter 6, St. John's Parish, Berkley, pages 264-274, in:

  • Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.

Parish Records

St. John's, Berkeley, has a rich archive of early records, including a list of members, accounts, minutes and fragmentary records of minutes, list of ministers, list of officers, pew holders, and pew plans. Copies: FHL 22742 Items 7-8, 22743 Item 1, 22659 Item 2

Websites

References

  1. "Biggin Church" in Historical Marker Database at http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=23453 (accessed 28 May 2011).
  2. Site of Huguenot Church of Saint John's Berkeley, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
  3. "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.