St. Johns Berkeley Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Also known as Biggin Church. It is now a ruin. The original Biggin Church was completed in 1712. It burned in a forest fire in 1775, but was restored. British troops burned it again during the Revolutionary War in 1781, and it was again restored. In 1886 another forest fire left this building in ruins, and since then the bricks have been scavenged from all but two walls.
A Huguenot congregation met at a building near Santee Circle, Berkeley, South Carolina, in St. John's Berkeley Parish before 1701. These Huguenots were the bulk of the earliest St. John's Berkeley parishioners.
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
St. John's Berkeley Parish (Moncks Corner, Berkeley, SC) was authorized in 1706, but had to wait until 1708 for its boundaries to be defined from the northern part of St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish in the northwest part of Berkeley (1682-1768) County.
Borders: St. Thomas and St. Denis, St. James Goose Creek, Prince Frederick 1734-1754, St. Stephen's since 1754, and St. Mark's since 1757 parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
Areas Served: St. John's Berkeley Parish served:
- Biggin Church, The Historical Marker Database. Includes photographs of the ruin and history.
- Site of Huguenot Church of Saint John's Berkeley, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ "Biggin Church" in Historical Marker Database at http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=23453 (accessed 28 May 2011).
- ↑ Site of Huguenot Church of Saint John's Berkeley, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- ↑ Frederick Dalcho, An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. (Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820), 264. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "South Carolina Counties and Parishes - 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes - 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 27 May 2011).
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and County - 1785" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1785.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts - 1800" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Early_Statehood/sc_statehood_1800_districts_counties_1800.html (accessed 28 May 2011).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "South Carolina Counties - 1890" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/1800s/sc_1800s_counties_1890.html (accessed 28 May 2011).