St. Johns Colleton Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. John's Colleton Parish has served Colleton County, South Carolina.
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- An island, borders St. Andrew's, St. Bartholomew's, and St. Paul's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 20, St. John's Parish, Colleton, pages 360-365, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.