St. Johns Colleton Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- An island, borders St. Andrew's, St. Bartholomew's, and St. Paul's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 20, St. John's Parish, Colleton, pages 360-365, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
St. John's, Colleton has a rich archive of early records, including a list of ministers, officers, act of incorporation, minutes, disbursements. Copies: FHL Film 24513. Other records include accounts, act of incorporation, minutes, list of members, plat of church pews, and other miscellaneous records. Copies: FHL Film 24514. Many of these records were kept at the Bishop's office, St. Philip's Church, Charleston in the 1950s.
- ↑ "Colleton County, South Carolina," Wikipedia, accessed 17 February 2011.
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.