St. Margarets Parish, Virginia

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Colonial parish registers do not survive.)
(history)
Line 4: Line 4:
  
 
St. Margaret's Parish has served [[King William County, Virginia|King William]] and [[Caroline County, Virginia|Caroline]] counties.  
 
St. Margaret's Parish has served [[King William County, Virginia|King William]] and [[Caroline County, Virginia|Caroline]] counties.  
 +
 +
::"Located at Ruther Glen, Virginia. St. Margaret's Parish, established in 1720, was one of the three original parishes of Caroline County and encompassed the area lying between the Mattapony and the North Anna-Pamunkey boundaries. In the beginning, St. Margaret's Parish extended beyond Caroline into King William and Spotsylvania counties, but in 1742 the General Assembly placed the lands outside Caroline County in other parishes. Since that time all of St. Margaret's Parish has been in Caroline County."<ref name="herb">Herbert Ridgeway Collins, ''Cemeteries of Caroline County, Virginia. Volume 1 - Public Cemeteries'' (Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1994), 136.</ref>
  
 
Mangohick Church served parishioners as a chapel of ease in the eighteenth century. William Byrd referred to Mangohick as the New Brick Church in 1732 (it was built about 1730). It is currently a Baptist church.  
 
Mangohick Church served parishioners as a chapel of ease in the eighteenth century. William Byrd referred to Mangohick as the New Brick Church in 1732 (it was built about 1730). It is currently a Baptist church.  
Line 11: Line 13:
 
*1720 formed from [[St. Johns Parish, Virginia|St. John's Parish]]<ref>Freddie Spradlin, [http://vagenweb.org/parishes.htm "Parishes of Virginia,"] VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; [http://vagenweb.org/hening/''Hening's Statutes at Large;''] Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., ''The Hornbook of Virginia History'' (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).</ref>
 
*1720 formed from [[St. Johns Parish, Virginia|St. John's Parish]]<ref>Freddie Spradlin, [http://vagenweb.org/parishes.htm "Parishes of Virginia,"] VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; [http://vagenweb.org/hening/''Hening's Statutes at Large;''] Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., ''The Hornbook of Virginia History'' (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).</ref>
  
==== Boundary ====
+
==== Boundary ====
  
 
=== Resources  ===
 
=== Resources  ===

Revision as of 23:48, 12 January 2012

United States  Gotoarrow.png  Virginia  Gotoarrow.png  St. Margaret's Parish

Mangohickchurch.jpg

Contents

History

St. Margaret's Parish has served King William and Caroline counties.

"Located at Ruther Glen, Virginia. St. Margaret's Parish, established in 1720, was one of the three original parishes of Caroline County and encompassed the area lying between the Mattapony and the North Anna-Pamunkey boundaries. In the beginning, St. Margaret's Parish extended beyond Caroline into King William and Spotsylvania counties, but in 1742 the General Assembly placed the lands outside Caroline County in other parishes. Since that time all of St. Margaret's Parish has been in Caroline County."[1]

Mangohick Church served parishioners as a chapel of ease in the eighteenth century. William Byrd referred to Mangohick as the New Brick Church in 1732 (it was built about 1730). It is currently a Baptist church.

Founded

Boundary

Resources

Parish History

Parish Records

Colonial parish registers do not survive.

Websites

References

  1. Herbert Ridgeway Collins, Cemeteries of Caroline County, Virginia. Volume 1 - Public Cemeteries (Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1994), 136.
  2. Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).