St. Matthew Parish, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Before the American Revolution, the state church of Georgia was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
St. Matthew Parish (location, GA) was officially created in 1758 as an original colonial parish.
Areas Served: St. Matthew Parish served:
Modern equivalent: The original parish covered part of what is present-day county.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 04:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,709 times.