St. Matthews Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. Matthew's Parish serves Orangeburg County.
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: St. Matthew's Parish, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 16, St. Matthew's Parish, pages 332-335, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
The history of the parish is also discussed in pages 2-17 of:
- Salley, A.S. The History of Orangeburg County South Carolina: From Its First Settlement to the Close of the Revolutionary War. Orangeburg, S.C.: R. Lewis Berry, Printer, 1898. Digital version at Google Books.
For some births in the parish in 1770 and 1771, see:
- "Some Records Kept by Rev. Paul Turquand of St. Matthew's Parish," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 33, No. 2 (Apr. 1932):180; digital version at JSTOR ($).
-  St. Matthew's Tax List, 1818, South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Summer 1973); Vol. 1, No. 4 (Fall 1973).