St. Michaels Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. Michael's Parish serves Charleston.
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: St. Philip's and St. Michael's Parishes, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- Jervey, Clare. Inscriptions on the Tablets and Gravestones in St. Michael's Church and Churchyard, Charleston, S.C. To Which is Added from the Church Records a List of Interments of Persons to Whom There are No Stones. Columbia, S.C.: The State Company, Publishers, 1906. Digital version at Google Books.
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 4, St. Michael's Church, pages 165-243, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
Beesley's guide is on Ancestry:
- Beesley, Charles Norbury. Beesley's Illustrated Guide to St. Michael's Church, Charleston, S.C. Charleston, S.C.: Presses of Southern Print. & Pub. Co., c1939. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Williams, George W. St. Michael's, Charleston, 1751-1951. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1951. FHL Book 975.7915 K2w
A variety of records were kept about St. Michael's Parish, including: list of pew holders, minutes, accounts, and burials. They were still held at the church in 1952. Copies: FHL Films 22742 Item 10, 22743 Items 4-5. Some of the records have been abstracted:
- The Minutes of St. Michael's Church of Charleston, S.C., from 1758-1797. Abstracted by South Carolina Society of Colonial Dames of America, Historical Activities Committee. FHL Book 975.791/C1 K2c
- St. Michael's Church - The Historic Church located in Charleston, SC (official site)
- St. Michael's Episcopal Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ St. Philip's Parish Church was later rebuilt a few blocks away.