St. Philips Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. Philip's Parish serves Charleston.
It was the city's first church. Made of wood, it was located at the southeast corner of Broad and Meeting streets. This structure was replaced by a more permanent edifice in 1723 and opened on Easter. St. Philips was the earliest Church of England in the Carolinas and was the first Protestant foundation south of Virginia.
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Christ Church, St. Andrew's, St. James Goose Creek, St. Michael's, and St. Thomas and St. Denis parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
- St. Philip's Church Cemetery, Church Street, Charleston, South Carolina (Est. 1680) (photographs and transcripts of graves)
About 2,000 of the cemetery's graves are described at Find A Grave. Includes transcripts and select photographs.
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 2, St. Philip's Church, pages 26-74, and Chapter 3, pages 75-16 in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Fraser, Walter J. Charleston! Charleston!. Columbia, S.C.: University of South Carolina Press, 1989. FHL Book 975.7915 H2f
- McGrady, Edward. A Sketch of St. Philip's Church. Reprint, 2000.
- Pine, W. Morton. Historic St. Philip's Church. 1981.
- Thomas, Albert S. The Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina, 1820-1957. Columbia, S.C.: R.L. Bryan, 1957.
The original St. Philip's Parish Registers are kept at ... Published abstracts:
- Salley. The Register of St. Philip's Parish Charlestown (1720-1758). 1904.
- Smith, D.E. Huger and A.S. Salley. Register of St. Philip's Parish, Charlestown or Charleston, 1754-1810. Charleston, S.C.: South Carolina Society of the Colonial Dames of America, 1927.
In 1951-1952, the Genealogical Society of Utah microfilmed a typescript of the parish register, which begins in 1713: FHL Films 23339, 22740 Items 3-5, 22741 Items 1-3.
- St Philip's Church, Charleston, South Carolina (official site). Includes a history
- St. Philip's Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database. Includes a history
- ↑ History of Charleston County South Carolina, by Thomas Petigru Lesesne, 1931 FHL book 975.7915 D3l or FHL film 1598278 item 2.
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- ↑ This list is based on the history section of the church website.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, IGI Batch Numbers for South Carolina, USA, accessed 14 September 2010.