St Bartholomew Moor Lane

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Created page with 'See also:  St Bartholomew by the Exchange which was demolished in 1832, with St Bartholomew Moor Lane built in its place. In 1838, the Royal Exchange, which had also be…')
 
Line 1: Line 1:
See also:  [[St Bartholomew by the Exchange]] which was demolished in 1832, with St Bartholomew Moor Lane built in its place.
+
See also:  [[St Bartholomew by Exchange]] which was demolished in 1832, with St Bartholomew Moor Lane built in its place.  
  
 
In 1838, the Royal Exchange, which had also been rebuilt after the Great Fire, burnt down. In order to improve access to the site of the Exchange, the Corporation of London petitioned Parliament for permission to demolish St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange – as well as the neighbouring St. Benet Fink, so that Threadneedle Street may be widened. This was granted and the church demolished in 1840.  
 
In 1838, the Royal Exchange, which had also been rebuilt after the Great Fire, burnt down. In order to improve access to the site of the Exchange, the Corporation of London petitioned Parliament for permission to demolish St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange – as well as the neighbouring St. Benet Fink, so that Threadneedle Street may be widened. This was granted and the church demolished in 1840.  
  
 
The parish was combined with that of St Margaret Lothbury and proceeds of the sale of the site were used to build St. Bartholomew Moor Lane. This church, designed by Charles Robert Cockerell, was a replica of St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange and included much of its furnishings.<br>
 
The parish was combined with that of St Margaret Lothbury and proceeds of the sale of the site were used to build St. Bartholomew Moor Lane. This church, designed by Charles Robert Cockerell, was a replica of St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange and included much of its furnishings.<br>

Revision as of 22:15, 2 March 2010

See also:  St Bartholomew by Exchange which was demolished in 1832, with St Bartholomew Moor Lane built in its place.

In 1838, the Royal Exchange, which had also been rebuilt after the Great Fire, burnt down. In order to improve access to the site of the Exchange, the Corporation of London petitioned Parliament for permission to demolish St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange – as well as the neighbouring St. Benet Fink, so that Threadneedle Street may be widened. This was granted and the church demolished in 1840.

The parish was combined with that of St Margaret Lothbury and proceeds of the sale of the site were used to build St. Bartholomew Moor Lane. This church, designed by Charles Robert Cockerell, was a replica of St. Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange and included much of its furnishings.