St Bartholomew the Great, London GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St Bartholomew the Great, the church of, is situated on the northeast side of the Smithfield, and at the north end of Duke Street. It gave a fire in 1666 and is a large plain church of Saxon and Norman architecture 132 feet long, 57 broad, and 47 hi, with the square are crowned with an angle turret. It was originally a parish church of joining at the priory of St. Bartholomew: but when the latter was pulled down as far as the choir, that portion was annexed by the Kings order for the enlargement of the old church. The intervention of this church, which had all publicly, was patiently prior counts of St. Bartholomew is now in private he is. The parish claims an exception from the necessity of being free of the city to carry on retail traits within its boundaries.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Farringdon Ward Without - St Bartholomewes the Grete, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Bartholmewes ye Great, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 160)
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Saint Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield (official website). Photographs, history, visitor directions.
- Sketch of St Bartholomew the Great Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Bartholomew the Great')
- ↑ James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.