St Dunstan in the East, London Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 18:||Line 18:|
=== Census records ===
=== Census records ===
==== 1582 Subsidy ====
==== 1582 Subsidy ====
Revision as of 03:12, 24 February 2012England London London Parishes St Dunstan in the East
Publications of the Harleian Society Parish Register Series has published the parish registers from 1558 through 1758 (burials up to 1766).
Webb published an index to burials for the years 1813 to 1853.
James Greenstreet, Honorary Secretary of the Pipe Roll Society, published abstracts of early marriages:
- 1605-1625 - Greenstreet, James. "Parish Register of St. Dunstan in the East, London, England, 1605-1625 - Marriages," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, 1605-1611: Vol. 25, No. 4 (Oct. 1894):194-196; 1611-1616: Vol. 26, No. 1 (Jan. 1895):21-24; 1616-1625: Vol. 26, No. 3 (Jul. 1895):110-114. Digital version at New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 6-32. Internet Archive has digitized Vol. 25 and Vol. 26 - free.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- St Dunstan in the East, Tower Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/201); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Tower Ward - St Dunstan in the East Parish, courtesy: British History Online
- St Dunstan in the East, Tower Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/501); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
Contributor: Include an overview if there is many unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, probate matters for St Dunstan in the East residents were handled by the Court of the Deanery of the Arches.
Go to London Probate Records to find the name of the court having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Transcripts of early St Dunstan in the East, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
- ~1100 - church built
- 1666 - church severely damaged by Great Fire of London
- 1668-1671 - church rebuilt
- 1941 - church severely damaged in London Blitz
- 1971 - church ruins converted into a public garden
"St Dunstan in the East, the church of, is situated between Idol Lane and St. Dunstan's Hill, Tower Street, the latter of which is carried from the south side of the lofty tower and spire of the church southwards into Thames Street opposite the eastern wing of the customhouse. The ancient Church was damaged by the great fire of 1666, and was shortly after repaired but the elegant spire and tower were not finished till 1699. The body of the Church, having been only repaired by Sir Christopher Wren, having fallen into much decay, it was taken down and rebuilt in 1821... The patronage of this living was anciently in the prior and canons of Canterbury, who in 1365 granted it to Simon Islip, their archbishop and his successors. It is directory, and one of the 13 peculiar churches of the arch episcopal see of Canterbury."
St Dunstan in the East was part of Tower Ward.
A history of the parish was published in 1860:
- Murray, Thomas Boyles. Chronicles of a City Church; Being an Account of the Parish Church of St. Dunstan in the East, In the City of London: With Short Biographical Notices of Eminent Persons Connected with the Church and Parish. London: Smith, Elder, and Co., 1859. Digitized by Google Books.
Maps and Gazetteers
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Dunstan in the East Parish Church records)
- Sketch of St Dunstan in the East Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Dunstan in the East')
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Dunstan in the East in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batches P001431-P001432, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes microfilmed parish registers.
- ↑ Batch M001431, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts and microfilmed parish registers.
- ↑ 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- ↑ Stuart A. Raymond, London and Middlesex: A Genealogical Bibliography (Birmingham, UK: Federation of Family History Societies, c1997), Vol. 2:27.
- ↑ Cliff Webb, Some London Burials, Post-1812 (1979). FHL Book 942.1/L1 K29w.
- ↑ WeRelate contributors, "Source:New York Genealogical and Biographical Record (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society)," in WeRelate, http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Source:New_York_Genealogical_and_Biographical_Record_%28New_York_Genealogical_and_Biographical_Society%29, accessed 15 February 2012.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Thomas Boyles Murray, Chronicles of a City Church; Being an Account of the Parish Church of St. Dunstan in the East, In the City of London: With Short Biographical Notices of Eminent Persons Connected with the Church and Parish (London: Smith, Elder, and Co., 1859).
- ↑ Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.