St Helens, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Line 5: Line 5:
 
ST HELEN'S, '''a chapelry''' and market-town, '''''in the parish''''' and union '''''of Prescot''''', hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 11 miles east by northeast of Liverpool; comprising part of the township of Eccleston, and the entire townships of Parr, Sutton, and Windle.  
 
ST HELEN'S, '''a chapelry''' and market-town, '''''in the parish''''' and union '''''of Prescot''''', hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 11 miles east by northeast of Liverpool; comprising part of the township of Eccleston, and the entire townships of Parr, Sutton, and Windle.  
  
This town, originally a small village, is now a thriving place, situated on an extensive coal-field, to which it principally owes its prosperity. The church, originally dedicated to St Helen, on being enlarged in 1816, was dedicated anew to St Mary; another chapel, called '''St Thomas's '''church, was erected.  
+
This town, originally a small village, is now a thriving place, situated on an extensive coal-field. The church, originally dedicated to St Helen, on being enlarged in 1816, was dedicated anew to St Mary; another chapel, called '''St Thomas's '''church, was erected.  
  
There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' (1848), pp. 466-470.&amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.</ref>&nbsp;  
+
There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' (1848), pp. 466-470.&amp;amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.</ref>&nbsp;
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 17:05, 16 March 2012

England RTENOTITLE Lancashire RTENOTITLE Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapel History

ST HELEN'S, a chapelry and market-town, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 11 miles east by northeast of Liverpool; comprising part of the township of Eccleston, and the entire townships of Parr, Sutton, and Windle.

This town, originally a small village, is now a thriving place, situated on an extensive coal-field. The church, originally dedicated to St Helen, on being enlarged in 1816, was dedicated anew to St Mary; another chapel, called St Thomas's church, was erected.

There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.[1] 

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

St. Helens Townships Family History Society

Reference

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 466-470.&amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.