St Juliot, Cornwall GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
JULIOT, ST., a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Camelford. 
The parish church is dedicated to St Julitta (Juliot) and stands in an isolated location above the valley of the River Valency at OS grid reference SX129912 The parish church of Lanteglos by Camelford and the castle chapel at Tintagel are also dedicated to St Julitta. The chapel of St Julitta was acquired in 1238 by the canons of St Stephens by Launceston and before 1269 was annexed to their church of St Gennys. At the Reformation it was separated from St Gennys and became a donative served by perpetual curates who were paid £7 annually. It became a rectory in 1865. There was formerly a north transept which was removed in the Victorian restoration. The tower is of three stages; the south aisle is built of granite and has one additional bay east of the end of the nave. Features of interest include the vaulted granite south porch and a relief in bronze of the Deposition of Christ which is the work of an Italian 16th century Mannerist. There are two Cornish crosses in the churchyard.
The parish now belongs to the Boscastle and Davidstow United Benefice in the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 94
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/h_k/juliot_st.php
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241262.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.