St Juliot, Cornwall GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Juliot, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Juliot, Cornwall|
St Juliot Church Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Camelford|
|Parish registers: 1646|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1623|
|Rural Deanery||Trigg Major|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
JULIOT, ST., a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Camelford. 
The parish church is dedicated to St Julitta (Juliot) and stands in an isolated location above the valley of the River Valency at OS grid reference SX129912 The parish church of Lanteglos by Camelford and the castle chapel at Tintagel are also dedicated to St Julitta. The chapel of St Julitta was acquired in 1238 by the canons of St Stephens by Launceston and before 1269 was annexed to their church of St Gennys. At the Reformation it was separated from St Gennys and became a donative served by perpetual curates who were paid £7 annually. It became a rectory in 1865. There was formerly a north transept which was removed in the Victorian restoration. The tower is of three stages; the south aisle is built of granite and has one additional bay east of the end of the nave. Features of interest include the vaulted granite south porch and a relief in bronze of the Deposition of Christ which is the work of an Italian 16th century Mannerist. There are two Cornish crosses in the churchyard.
The parish now belongs to the Boscastle and Davidstow United Benefice in the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Juliot, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Juliot, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1656-1712, 1813-1904||1656-1712, 1774-1907||1656-1712, 1813-1901|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 94
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/h_k/juliot_st.php
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241262.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 631-640. Date accessed: 06 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.