St Katherine ColemanEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St Katherine Coleman, the church of, is situated on the east side of Church Row, on the south side of Fenchurch Street about ten houses eastward of Mark Lane, with which it also communicates. It derives its name and addition from beinf dedicated to St Katherine, a virgin and martyr of Alexandria, and from being situated on a spot anciently called Coleman Haw. It is a very ancient rectory, as there are records of its being so in 1346. The old church was substantially repaired and a south aisle added in 1489,b Sir William White, then Lord Mayor of London. It escaped the great fire of 1666; but being very much out of repair, and much buried by the raising of the causeway in Fenchurch Street, it was pulled down in 1734, and the present church erected at the expense of the parish. It is a plain well-built church with a lofty nave, lighted with two rows of windows. The tower is square, and finished with embrasures, and the floor of the church is elevated several steps abor the levelof its surrounding churchyard.
This church was originally in the patronage of the Dean of St Martin-le-Grand, and so continued till that religious house, with all its appurtneances, was annexed tot he Abbey of Westminster, after which it fell to the ground, and the advowson was given by Queen Mary, in the first year of her reign, to the Bishop of London and his successors in that see for ever. The Advowson is still under the same patronage.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - Saint Katherine Colmanes Parishes, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Catherin Colmans parishe, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 149)
1638 Inhabitants List
1666 Hearth Tax
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to London Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Katherine Coleman')
- ↑ James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback