St Margaret Pattens with St Gabriel Fenchurch, London GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"St Margaret Pattens with St Gabriel Fenchurch, the church of, it situated at the southeast corner of Rood Lane, Fenchurch Street, andderives its name from its dedication to the before-mentioned St Margaret, and its addition from being situated in a lane occupied at that time by only makers and sellers of pattens. The original foundation of this church was in or before 1324, and was in the patronage of the family of the Nevils, with whom it remained till 1392, when it came to Robert Rekeden, of Essex, and Margaret his wife, who in 1408 conveyed it to Richard Whittington and other citizens of London, together with the advowson of St Peter, Cornhill, and the manor of Leadenhall; which agreement the said Whittington and others confirmed in 1411 to the Mayor and Commonalty of London, in whom the right...has ever since remained. The old church was burned down in the dreadful fire of 1666, and the present edifice erected in 1687 by Sir Christopher Wren. The interior is 66 feet in length, 52 in breadth, and 32 in height, lighted by a range of arched windows. At the time of the fire the ancient church was united by act of Parliament to that if St Margaret Pattens, It was also a rectory, dedicated to St Gabriel, and founded before the year 1321...The patronage of this church was in the prior and convent of the Holy Trinity within Aldgate, until the suppression of thisr priory, when it devolved to the crown... This united parish church is a recotiry in the city, ciocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the alternate patronage of the Lord Chancellor..., the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen...; and the Lord Mayor and Common Council one turn."
James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect. In “A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions,” (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- Inhabitants of London in 1638 - St Gabriel Fenchurch, courtesy: British History Online
- Inhabitants of London in 1638 - St Margaret Pattens, courtesy: British History Online
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - Saintt Gabrill Fanchurch, courtesy: British History Online
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Margaret Pattens, courtesy: British History Online
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Sketch of St. Margaret Pattens Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Gabriel' or 'London St Margaret Pattens')