St Martin Outwich, London GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Bishopsgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saynt Martin, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Broad Street Ward - Saint Martyns Oute Wytche, courtesy: British History Online
- St Martin Outwich, Bishopsgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/139); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- St Martin Outwich, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/144); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- St Martin Outwich, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/217); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Bishopsgate Ward - St Martine Outwiche Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Broad Street Ward - St Martines Outwiche, courtesy: British History Online
- St Martin Outwich, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/489); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- St Martin Outwich, Bishopsgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/511); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
- St Martin Outwich, Broad Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/556); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List
- St Martin Outwich, Bishopsgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/597); copy: FHL Film 2228705.
1692-1932 Land Taxes
1695 Inhabitants Lists
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Will indexes for probate courts covering St Martin Outwich Parish are available online.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Transcripts of early St Martin Outwich, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
During the seventeenth century, officials gave some foundlings discovered in St Martin Outwich Parish the unique surname Outwich.
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
"St Martin Outwich, the church of, is situated at the southeast corner of Threadneedle Street, in Bishopsgate Street. It obtained its name from being dedicated aforementioned St. Martin, and its edition from William and John the odds wake, who were anciently its proprietors and patrons. In 1325 John de Warren, Earl of Surrey, presented to this living, but dying without issue, it devolved to the crown, and came afterwards into the possession of the Merchant Taylors' [sic] Company, who have ever since enjoyed the ride of patronage. You'll church, which was built in 1540, was one of the few that escaped the ravages of the fire of London, but it became afterwards so dilapidated by age, and the large fire that consumed much of the adjacent property in 1765, that it was taken down in 1795, and the first stone of the present edifice was laid on the fourth of May 1796. It is a neat small church, erected from the designs of the late Mr. Cockerell, and has a fresco painting of The Ascension, by Rigaud, over the altar.
"The church is a rectory, in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the Merchant Taylors' Company."
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Web sites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Martin Outwich Parish Church records)
- Sketch of St Martin Outwich Parish Church (1830), courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Martin Outwich')
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin Outwich in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin Outwich in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin Outwich in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Martin Outwich in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batch P001641, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ Batch M001641, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 W. Bruce Bannerman, The Registers of St. Martin Outwich, London (1905).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "London Parish Record Transcripts," The Genealogist, accessed 12 December 2011.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Middlesex and London Coverage, FreeReg, accessed 6 November 2012.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Nathan W. Murphy, "London Foundlings in Colonial America: Overseas Leads to Dead Ends: John Abchurch, William Abchurch, Isaac Jewry, and Henry Woolchurch of Virginia and Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 83, No. 2 (Jul./Oct. 2008):131-140.
- ↑ James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.