St Michael on Wyre, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - 'Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in th)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|RTENOTITLE]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|RTENOTITLE]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
 
See a [[List of Chapelries in the Parish of St Michael on Wyre]]  
 
See a [[List of Chapelries in the Parish of St Michael on Wyre]]  
  
[[Image:St._Michael's_on_Wyre_Lancashire.jpg|thumb|right|St Michael's on Wyre]]
+
[[Image:St. Michael's on Wyre Lancashire.jpg|thumb|right|St Michael's on Wyre]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Line 9: Line 9:
 
St Michael on Wyre is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.  
 
St Michael on Wyre is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.  
  
Other places in the parish include: Car House Green Common, Carhouse Green Common, Catforth, Eaves, Upper Rawcliffe with Tranacre, Tarnacre, Tarnicar, Upper Rawcliffe, Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre, and Sowerby<br>  
+
Other places in the parish include: Car House Green Common, Carhouse Green Common, Catforth, Eaves, Upper Rawcliffe with Tranacre, Tarnacre, Tarnicar, Upper Rawcliffe, Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre, and Sowerby<br>
  
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.<br>  
+
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.<br>
  
The parish church of St Michael is the village's most prominent landmark. The nave and chancel date from the 14th century, and the tower from the 16th.<br>  
+
The parish church of St Michael is the village's most prominent landmark. The nave and chancel date from the 14th century, and the tower from the 16th.<br>
  
"MICHAEL, ST., ON WYRE, a parish, in the union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Garstang; including the chapelry of Plumpton-Wood, and the townships of Great Eccleston, Elswick, Inskip with Sowerby, Out Rawcliffe, and Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre; and containing 4786 inhabitants. This place is manifestly of as high antiquity as the heptarchy, and St. Michael's church is one of the three sacred edifices erected in Amounderness soon after the introduction of Christianity into the north of England, Preston and Kirkham churches being the other two. Dr. Whitaker supposes the parish of Garstang, from its contiguity, to have been severed from St. Michael's at a later date; but the Domesday survey does not favour that opinion, for Michelescherche is therein returned as containing only one carucate of land. The name of the parish is derived from the church, and the distinctive term Wyre is meant to distinguish it from the number of other St. Michaels in various parts of the kingdom. Nothing is known of the church from the time of the Domesday survey until the reign of John, when that monarch presented Master Macy; Henry, Earl of Lancaster, was patron in 1345, and the benefice ceased to be a rectory soon after the foundation of the college of Battlefield, in 1403. Since the dissolution of monastic establishments, the advowson has passed into the hands of various persons, most of whom have been incumbents. The northern and eastern boundaries of the parish are formed by the parish of Garstang, the south boundary by the parish of Preston, and the west by that of Kirkham. The length from Plumpton-Wood, on the southeast, to Out Rawcliffe, on the north-west, is eleven miles; and the breadth, from Elswick, on the southwest, to Tarnacre, on the north-east, nearly four miles; forming an area of 19,532 acres. The land is in nearly equal portions of arable and pasture, with a small quantity of wood. The river Wyre, rising in the hills of Wyresdale and Bleasdale, passes Garstang and Garstang Church-Town, and arrives at St. Michael's, within artificial banks, which are in some parts thirty feet high, and extend about six miles, four of which lie to the west, and two to the east, of St. Michael's. A little to the east of the village, the Wyre is increased by the Brock rivulet, bringing with it the waters of the New Draft, a rivulet formed by the Plumpton-Wood and Barton brooks. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 17. 6.; net income, £700, with a house, and a glebe of 24 acres; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Hugh Hornby. The vicarial tithes were commuted under a private act, 56th George III., cap. 11. The church, supposed to be a re-erection of the age of Henry VIII., is situated in the township of Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre, in which, also, is the village of St. Michael's. The edifice consists of a tower, nave, aisles, and chancel, and a chapel on the north side; the tower is a low firm structure with castellated parapets, and, like the greater part of the building, is cemented with white plaster. The roof is of blue slate, with excellent pointing; and this, and the white walls, give the church an air of neatness. At Great Eccleston, Inskip, OutRawcliffe, and Plumpton-Wood, are other churches. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics; and various daily and Sunday schools. A large part of the moss of Pilling is in the parish, and beneath it are discovered great quantities of trees."  
+
"ST MICHAEL ON WYRE, '''''a parish''''', in the union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles southwest by south&nbsp;of&nbsp;Garstang; including the chapelries of '''{{FHL|626053|title-id|disp=Plumpton-Wood}}''', and {{FHL|732673|title-id|disp=Great Eccleston}}, Elswick, {{FHL|648751|title-id|disp=Inskip}} with Sowerby, {{FHL|534995|ttitle-id|disp=Out Rawcliffe}}, and Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre.  
 +
This place is manifestly of as high antiquity as the heptarchy, and St. Michael's church is one of the three sacred edifices erected in Amounderness soon after the introduction of Christianity into the north of England, Preston and Kirkham churches being the other two. Dr. Whitaker supposes the parish of Garstang, from its contiguity, to have been severed from St. Michael's at a later date; but the Domesday survey does not favour that opinion, for Michelescherche is therein returned as containing only one carucate of land. The name of the parish is derived from the church, and the distinctive term Wyre is meant to distinguish it from the number of other St. Michaels in various parts of the kingdom. Nothing is known of the church from the time of the Domesday survey until the reign of John, when that monarch presented Master Macy; Henry, Earl of Lancaster, was patron in 1345, and the benefice ceased to be a rectory soon after the foundation of the college of Battlefield, in 1403. Since the dissolution of monastic establishments, the advowson has passed into the hands of various persons, most of whom have been incumbents. The northern and eastern boundaries of the parish are formed by the parish of Garstang, the south boundary by the parish of Preston, and the west by that of Kirkham. The length from Plumpton-Wood, on the southeast, to Out Rawcliffe, on the north-west, is eleven miles; and the breadth, from Elswick, on the southwest, to Tarnacre, on the north-east, nearly four miles; forming an area of 19,532 acres. The land is in nearly equal portions of arable and pasture, with a small quantity of wood. The river Wyre, rising in the hills of Wyresdale and Bleasdale, passes Garstang and Garstang Church-Town, and arrives at St. Michael's, within artificial banks, which are in some parts thirty feet high, and extend about six miles, four of which lie to the west, and two to the east, of St. Michael's. A little to the east of the village, the Wyre is increased by the Brock rivulet, bringing with it the waters of the New Draft, a rivulet formed by the Plumpton-Wood and Barton brooks. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 17. 6.; net income, £700, with a house, and a glebe of 24 acres; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Hugh Hornby. The vicarial tithes were commuted under a private act, 56th George III., cap. 11. The church, supposed to be a re-erection of the age of Henry VIII., is situated in the township of Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre, in which, also, is the village of St. Michael's. The edifice consists of a tower, nave, aisles, and chancel, and a chapel on the north side; the tower is a low firm structure with castellated parapets, and, like the greater part of the building, is cemented with white plaster. The roof is of blue slate, with excellent pointing; and this, and the white walls, give the church an air of neatness. At Great Eccleston, Inskip, OutRawcliffe, and Plumpton-Wood, are other churches. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics; and various daily and Sunday schools. A large part of the moss of Pilling is in the parish, and beneath it are discovered great quantities of trees."  
  
From: Samuel A. Lewis:&nbsp;''A Topographical Dictionary of England ''(1848), pp. 298-301. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51146 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
+
From: Samuel A. Lewis:&nbsp;''A Topographical Dictionary of England ''(1848), pp. 298-301. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51146 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 25: Line 26:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
+
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>
  
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>  
+
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 39: Line 40:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
  
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
  
[[Fylde Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]&nbsp;[[Preston Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]
+
[[Fylde Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]&nbsp;[[Preston Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 62: Line 63:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 17:25, 16 March 2012

England RTENOTITLE Lancashire RTENOTITLE Lancashire Parishes

See a List of Chapelries in the Parish of St Michael on Wyre

St Michael's on Wyre

Contents

Parish History

St Michael on Wyre is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Car House Green Common, Carhouse Green Common, Catforth, Eaves, Upper Rawcliffe with Tranacre, Tarnacre, Tarnicar, Upper Rawcliffe, Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre, and Sowerby

The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.

The parish church of St Michael is the village's most prominent landmark. The nave and chancel date from the 14th century, and the tower from the 16th.

"ST MICHAEL ON WYRE, a parish, in the union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles southwest by south of Garstang; including the chapelries of Plumpton-Wood, and Great Eccleston, Elswick, Inskip with Sowerby, Out Rawcliffe, and Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre. This place is manifestly of as high antiquity as the heptarchy, and St. Michael's church is one of the three sacred edifices erected in Amounderness soon after the introduction of Christianity into the north of England, Preston and Kirkham churches being the other two. Dr. Whitaker supposes the parish of Garstang, from its contiguity, to have been severed from St. Michael's at a later date; but the Domesday survey does not favour that opinion, for Michelescherche is therein returned as containing only one carucate of land. The name of the parish is derived from the church, and the distinctive term Wyre is meant to distinguish it from the number of other St. Michaels in various parts of the kingdom. Nothing is known of the church from the time of the Domesday survey until the reign of John, when that monarch presented Master Macy; Henry, Earl of Lancaster, was patron in 1345, and the benefice ceased to be a rectory soon after the foundation of the college of Battlefield, in 1403. Since the dissolution of monastic establishments, the advowson has passed into the hands of various persons, most of whom have been incumbents. The northern and eastern boundaries of the parish are formed by the parish of Garstang, the south boundary by the parish of Preston, and the west by that of Kirkham. The length from Plumpton-Wood, on the southeast, to Out Rawcliffe, on the north-west, is eleven miles; and the breadth, from Elswick, on the southwest, to Tarnacre, on the north-east, nearly four miles; forming an area of 19,532 acres. The land is in nearly equal portions of arable and pasture, with a small quantity of wood. The river Wyre, rising in the hills of Wyresdale and Bleasdale, passes Garstang and Garstang Church-Town, and arrives at St. Michael's, within artificial banks, which are in some parts thirty feet high, and extend about six miles, four of which lie to the west, and two to the east, of St. Michael's. A little to the east of the village, the Wyre is increased by the Brock rivulet, bringing with it the waters of the New Draft, a rivulet formed by the Plumpton-Wood and Barton brooks. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 17. 6.; net income, £700, with a house, and a glebe of 24 acres; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Hugh Hornby. The vicarial tithes were commuted under a private act, 56th George III., cap. 11. The church, supposed to be a re-erection of the age of Henry VIII., is situated in the township of Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre, in which, also, is the village of St. Michael's. The edifice consists of a tower, nave, aisles, and chancel, and a chapel on the north side; the tower is a low firm structure with castellated parapets, and, like the greater part of the building, is cemented with white plaster. The roof is of blue slate, with excellent pointing; and this, and the white walls, give the church an air of neatness. At Great Eccleston, Inskip, OutRawcliffe, and Plumpton-Wood, are other churches. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics; and various daily and Sunday schools. A large part of the moss of Pilling is in the parish, and beneath it are discovered great quantities of trees."

From: Samuel A. Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 298-301. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51146 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Fylde Poor Law Union, Lancashire Preston Poor Law Union, Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.