St Neot, Cornwall GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St Neot, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Neot, Cornwall|
St Neot Church Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Liskeard PLU|
|Parish registers: 1549|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1610|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
NEOT, ST., a parish, in the union of Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Liskeard. 
The parish is named after the Saxon monk, Saint Neot (who also gives his name to St Neots, Huntingdonshire, whence his alleged bones were taken in the early Middle Ages). On the northern side the parish includes part of Bodmin Moor and hamlets in the parish include Draynes, Ley and Pantersbridge.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Neot, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Neot, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 162
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241274.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 368-372. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 27 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.