St Olave Hart Street
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 11:||Line 11:|
=== Church records ===
=== Church records ===
=== Census ===
=== Census ===
Revision as of 21:37, 7 January 2012
"St Olave Hart Street, the church of, is situated on the south side of Hart Street, Crutched Friars and derives its name and addition from being dedicated to St Olave or Olaus, King of Norway, who, from his strong attachment to the christian religion, took part with the Christian English, against the pagan Danes. A church stood on this site, dedicated to the same patron, before the year 1319, The present church."
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - The Parisshe of Saynt Olave, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Aldgate Ward - Saint Olave Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Bridge Ward - St Olaves Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Tower Ward - St Olaves Parish, courtesy: British History Online
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - St. Olaves in Hart streete Parishe, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 149)
- St Olave, Hart Street, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/549); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
- St Olave Hart Street, Aldgate Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/616); copy: FHL Film 2228705.
1666 Hearth Tax
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Olave Hart Street fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Archdeaconry of London. In practice, many residents left their wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury from the 1700s through 1858. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Transcripts of early St Olave Hart Street tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue
- St Olave's and St Katharine Cree (official website). Photographs, history, visitor directions.
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Olave Hart Street')
- ↑ James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Olave, Hart Street in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Olave Hart Street in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Olave Hart Street in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Olave Hart Street in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batches P001591, C001592-C001593, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes microfilmed parish register xxx.
- ↑ Batches M001591 (inactive 21/02/2012)-M001592, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts (1563-1700) and parish registers (1701-1876).
- ↑ "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 "London Parish Record Transcripts," The Genealogist, accessed 12 December 2011.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Middlesex and London Coverage, FreeReg, accessed 6 November 2012.
- ↑ John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ "About Archdeaconry Court of London Wills Index 1750-1800", British Origins, accessed 23 December 2011.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.