St Olave Old Jewry with St Martin PomeroyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"St Olave Old Jewry with St Martin Pomeroy, the church of, stands on the west side of Old Jewry, is of very ancient foundation, and was originally called St Olace Upwell, from its patron saint, and the well at the east... It was afterwards called Jewry, from its vicinity tbe coming the alotted residence of the Jews in London. The parish is ancient, and was a rectory, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St Pauls, till about the year 1181, when it was transferred by them, with the chapel of St Stephen Coleman Street, to the prior and convent of Butley, in Suffolk, when it became a vicarage. At the suppression of the monasteries, the impropriation was forfeited to the crown, in whom it has continued till the present time. After the fire of London the parish of St Martin Pomery, in Ironmonger Lane, was united to this parish, which being a rectory, also in the patronage of the crown, the presentation the united livings in the king--[see St Martin Pomery]."
- Martin: 1800-1837
- Olave: 1800-1837
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Cheap Ward - Saynt Martyns Paryshe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1541 London Subsidy Roll, Coleman Street Ward - Sainct Olus Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Cheap Ward - St Martynes Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Coleman Street Ward - St Olaves Paroche, courtesy: British History Online
1638 Inhabitants List
- Inhabitants of London in 1638 - St Martin, Iremonger Lane, courtesy: British History Online
- Inhabitants of London in 1638 - St Olaves, Old Jewry, courtesy: British History Online
1666 Hearth Tax
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Martin Ironmonger Lane, courtesy: British History Online
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Olave Old Jewry, courtesy: British History Online
1695 Marriage Duty Tax
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Olave Old Jewry with St Martin Pomeroy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Transcripts of early St Olave Old Jewry with St Martin Pomeroy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Olave Old Jewry Parish records)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Martin Pomeroy Parish records)
- Sketch of St Olave Old Jewry Parish Church (1830), courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Martin Pomeroy' or 'London St Olave Old Jewry')
- ↑ James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.