St Paul's CathedralEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St Paul's Cathedral in London family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers (baptisms, christenings, marriages, and burials), civil registration (births, marriages, and deaths), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and website resources.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
A survey of tombs in St Paul's Cathedral, published 1614, is Holland's Monumenta Sepulchraria Sancti Pauli.
A survey of tombs in St. Paul's Cathedral, published 1633, is Ecclesia Sancti Pauli Illustrata, &c.
Transcripts of early St Paul's Cathedral tombs found in the interior of the churches were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
St Paul's Cathedral Timeline
- 604 - original church founded on this site
- 1666 - building badly damaged in Great Fire of London
- 1697 - rebuilding of Cathedral completed
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St. Paul's Cathedral records)
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Paul's Cathedral')
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Alphage London Wall in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Middlesex and London Coverage, FreeReg, accessed 6 November 2012.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ Batch C041301, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- ↑ "Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches," British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- ↑ John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ Batch M041301, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- ↑ 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ Stuart A. Raymond, London and Middlesex: A Genealogical Bibliography (Birmingham, UK: Federation of Family History Societies, c1997), Vol. 2:29.
- ↑ John Weever, Ancient Funeral Monuments in Great Britain etc. (1631; reprint, London: W. Tooke, 1767). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Payne Fisher, The Tombs, Monuments, etc., Visible in S. Paul's Cathedral (and S. Faith's Beneath It) Previous to Its Destruction by Fire, A.D. 1666 (1684; reprint, 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ William Macdonald Sinclair, Memorials of St. Paul's Cathedral (London: Chapman and Hall, 1909).