St Peter le Poer with St Benet FinkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St Peter le Poer with St Benet Fink,the church of, is situated on the western side of the Old Broad Street, nearly opposite the south corner of the Excise Office. This church is of ancient origin, as appaears from a register of it as far back as 1181. It is dedicated to St Peter the Apostle, and was called le-poor,...from the poor and mean condition of its inhabitants in ancient times. The advowson of this church appears to have been from the earliest times, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's, with whom it still continues. It is a rectory, in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to London Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Benet Fink Parish records)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Peter le Poer Parish records)
- Sketch of St Benet Fink Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Sketch of St Peter le Poer Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct subject searches for 'London St Benet Fink' or 'London St Peter le Poer')
- ↑ James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback