St Swithun London Stone with St Mary Bothaw, London GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St Swithun London Stone with St Mary Bothaw, the church of, is situated at the south west corner of St Swithin's Lane, Cannon Street, and derives its name from being dedicated to St Swithin, Bishop of Winchester and Chencellor to King Egbert, who died in 806. By ancient records it appears there was a church upon this spot, dedicated to the same saint, prior to 1330. This church was destroyed by the fire of London, and the present, plain and substantial building erected by Sir Christopher Wren, in its stead. The patronage of this church appears to have been enciently in the prior and convent of Tortington, in the diocese of Chester, in whom it continued till the dissolution of the monasteries by henry VIII, who granted it to the Earl of Oxford (see Oxford Court, Cannon Street), who soon after disposed of it, and it still continues in private hands. Against the southern side of this church, next to Cannon Street, is carefully preserved that relic of antiquity, London Stone. [see that article]. On the rebuilding of this church, the parish of St Mary Bothall or Bothaw (see that church), was united to that of St Swithin, by act of Parliament. The living is a rectory in the city of London, in the province of Canterbury, and in the alternate patronage of og the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury.
These parishes were part of Walbrook Ward.
"Swithin" is a popular alternative spelling for "Swithun."
White's 1904 history of St. Swithin Church has been digitized:
- White, J.G. History of the Ward of Walbrook in the City of London: Together with an Account of the Aldermen of the Ward and of the Two Remaining Churches, St. Stephen, Walbrook, & St. Swithin, London Stone, with Their Rectors. 1904. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
St Mary Bothaw Parish
St Swithun London Stone Parish
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Wallbrook Ward - St Marye Buttolphes Parishe, courtesy: British History Online
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Wallbrook Ward - St Swythens Parrishe, courtesy: British History Online
1638 Inhabitants List
- St Swithin London Stone, Walbrook Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/581); copy: FHL Film 2228705.
1666 Hearth Tax
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Mary Bothaw, courtesy: British History Online
- Hearth Tax: City of London 1666 - St Swithin London Stone, courtesy: British History Online
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Before 1858, St Swithun London Stone with St Mary Bothaw, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London and the Court of the Deanery of the Arches of London, Croydon, Shoreham.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Transcripts of early St Swithun London Stone with St Mary Bothaw, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the churches were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Mary Bothaw Parish records)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Swithin London Stone Parish records)
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Mary Bothaw' or 'London St Swithin')
- ↑ James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary Bothaw in the City of London | St Swithin London Stone in the City of London.. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary Bothaw in the City of London | St Swithin London Stone in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batch C022732, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Swithin London Stone in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Swithin London Stone in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batch C023221, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- ↑ John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.