St Teath, Cornwall Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(added to parish history)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Cornwall]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Cornwall Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Cornwall]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Cornwall Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:St Teath St Tetha contributor Jonathan Billinger.jpg|thumb|right|St Teath St Tetha contributor Jonathan Billinger.jpg]]  
+
[[Image:St Teath St Tetha contributor Jonathan Billinger.jpg|thumb|right]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
TEATH, ST., a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Trigg, E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Camelford. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans.
+
TEATH, ST., a '''parish''', in the union of Camelford, hundred of Trigg, E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Camelford. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51330#s3 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 310-314. Date accessed: 23 March 2013.</ref>
  
 
+
<br> St Teath&nbsp;(Cornish: Eglostedha) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Medrose, Pengelly, and Treligga. <br>  
St Teath&nbsp;(Cornish: Eglostedha) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Medrose, Pengelly, and Treligga. <br>  
+
  
 
The Parish Church is named after St Tetha, one of twenty-four sons and daughters of Prince Brychan, a Welsh chieftain. When the Romans left Britain St Tetha and many of her brothers and sisters, including Endelienta, Mabena, Adwena, Minfreda, came to North Cornwall to convert people to Christianity. The church is located in the centre of the village of St Teath adjacent to the Clock Tower and in close proximity to the village inn.  
 
The Parish Church is named after St Tetha, one of twenty-four sons and daughters of Prince Brychan, a Welsh chieftain. When the Romans left Britain St Tetha and many of her brothers and sisters, including Endelienta, Mabena, Adwena, Minfreda, came to North Cornwall to convert people to Christianity. The church is located in the centre of the village of St Teath adjacent to the Clock Tower and in close proximity to the village inn.  
Line 68: Line 67:
  
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
 +
 +
== References ==
 +
 +
{{reflist}}
  
 
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.<br>  
 
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.<br>  

Revision as of 16:33, 23 March 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Cornwall Gotoarrow.png Cornwall Parishes

St Teath St Tetha contributor Jonathan Billinger.jpg

Contents

Parish History

TEATH, ST., a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Trigg, E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Camelford. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans. [1]


St Teath (Cornish: Eglostedha) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Medrose, Pengelly, and Treligga.

The Parish Church is named after St Tetha, one of twenty-four sons and daughters of Prince Brychan, a Welsh chieftain. When the Romans left Britain St Tetha and many of her brothers and sisters, including Endelienta, Mabena, Adwena, Minfreda, came to North Cornwall to convert people to Christianity. The church is located in the centre of the village of St Teath adjacent to the Clock Tower and in close proximity to the village inn.

The churchyard and church land is in the shape of a rough circle which indicates that there was probably some kind of place of worship here in Celtic times. The cross in the cemetery is the 3rd tallest in Cornwall and dates from the Celtic times.

St. Tetha’s Church served the whole parish until the Church of Saint John the Evangelist was built at Delabole St John, Cornwall in 1879. The first baptism recorded there was on 7th August 1881. It has a unique slate altar built from Delabole slate.

Resources

Civil Registration


Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.


Church records

 
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 219

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/t_z/teath_st.php

The history registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for St Teath.




Census records

a.

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241273.

. 


Cornwall Online Census Project

Poor Law Unions

Camelford Poor Law Union


Probate records


Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 310-314. Date accessed: 23 March 2013.

Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/681562 for images of the church

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-68610-church-of-st-tetha-st-teath British listed Building