Stalmine, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Stalmine St James was created a chapel of ease by 1583 from, and lying within the boundaries of Lancaster St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Pilling Lane, Staynall, Stalmine with Staynall, and Preesall with Hackinsall.
The civil parish containing the village is Stalmine-with-Staynall, which was listed as a township in the parish of Lancaster in 1835.
The village history dates back to 1066 when Tostig Godwinson held it as part of his Preston Fee. The first recorded possessor was Robert de Stalmine in 1165. The chapel of Stalmine was first mentioned about 1200 and a cemetery was consecrated in 1230. The chapel was rebuilt in 1806 when it was renamed St James. In 1689 Stalmine had a Presbyterian meeting house, which in 1717 was stated to be located "very near to the chapel".
The village church, St. James Church on Hallgate Lane, has a sundial dated 1690.
"STALMINE, with Staynall [created by 1583], a township, and chapelry, in the parish of Lancaster, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Poulton; the township containing 504 inhabitants. The greater part of the township was early held by a family of the local name, various members of which made donations of land to the monks of Furness, who seem to have subsequently acquired the whole manor, which they retained till the Dissolution. The township comprises 2138 acres, of which 333 are common land or waste. The estuary of the Wyre bounds the chapelry on the west, and Lancaster bay bounds it on the north. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Lancaster, with a net income of £267. The impropriate tithes of the township have been commuted for £284, and the incumbent's for £130. The original chapel was dedicated to St. Oswald: the present building was erected in 1806, and dedicated to St. James; it is a plain oblong structure with an open belfry for two bells, and will accommodate about 400 persons. Deer-horns have been found in the bog land; and Roman drinking-cups similar to those in the British Museum, and a spear-head, have been dug up."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 175-180. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51295 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Transcripts of this parish are available.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More