Stalybridge New St George, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St George's Stalybridge is the parish church on the Lancashire side of the river in the Diocese of Manchester. It is known as New St George's and its foundation stone was laid on 24 June, 1840. On the Cheshire side, the parish church of Holy Trinity and Christ Church, Diocese of Chester, is situated in the town centre on Trinity Street, beside the former market hall. The foundation stone of the parish church of St Paul's, Staley was laid by Stapleton Stapleton-Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere on 2 February, 1838. It is along with St James', Millbrook situated in the Diocese of Chester.
There are two Roman Catholic parishes - St Peter's, Stalybridge, the foundation stone of which was laid on 8 June, 1838 and St. Raphael's, Millbrook. Both parishes are situated in the Diocese of Shrewsbury
The octagonal Stalybridge Methodist Church on High Street opened in 1966.
Stalybridge Congregational Church is to be found in a modern building on Baker Street. Its original building, which opened for worship in 1861 and was demolished around the turn of the 21st century, was situated between Melbourne Street and Trinity Street.
The Unitarian Church on Forester Drive was established in 1870 and is part of the East Cheshire Union of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches.
Stalybridge Revival Church, on Mount Street, formerly known as Stalybridge Evangelical Church, was established in 2009.[
The burial records of both Stalybridge Old St George and Stalybridge new St George have been transcribed and are on line at http://www.stg.org.uk/graverecords01.htm