Stalybridge Old St George, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Stalybridge Old St George ins an ancient parish in the county of Lancashire created in 1798 from the ancient parish of Ashton Under Lyne [St Michael] It was in the diocese of Chester until the Manchester Diocese was created.
The settlement was originally called Stavelegh, which derives from the Old English staef leah, meaning "wood where the staves are got". The medieval Lords of the manor took de Stavelegh as their name, later becoming Stayley or Staley. The lordship of Longdendale was one of the ancient feudal estates of Cheshire and included the area of Stalybridge. William de Neville was the first lord of Longdendale, appointed by the Earl of Chester between 1162 and 1186.Buckton Castle, near Stalybridge, was probably built by William de Neville in the late 12th century. As this was the only castle within the lordship it was probably the seat of the de Nevilles. The lordship of Longdendale included the manors of Staley, Godley, Hattersley, Hollingworth, Matley, Mottram, Newton, Tintwistle and Werneth; the manor of Staley was first mentioned between 1211 and 1225.
Staley Hall today
The first records of the de Stavelegh family as Lords of the Manor date from the early 13th century. Staley Hall was their residence. The present hall was built in the late 16th century on the same site as an earlier hall of the Stayley family, dating from before 1343.
Sir Ralph Staley had no male heirs and after his death his daughter, Elizabeth Staley, married Sir Thomas Assheton, uniting the manors of Ashton and Staley. Elizabeth and Thomas had two daughters and no sons. Margaret, the eldest of their two daughters married Sir William Booth of Dunham Massey The younger daughter, Elizabeth, was widowed without children. She continued to live at Staley Hall until her death in 1553. In her will her share of the lordships of Staley and Ashton were left to the Booths.
The manor of Staley remained in the possession of the Booth family until the death of George Booth, 2nd Earl of Warrington on 2 August, 1758. Upon his death, the Earldom of Warrington became extinct. His only daughter, Lady Mary Booth, the wife of Henry Grey, 4th Earl of Stamford, inherited all the Booth estates. The manor of Staley was owned by the Grey family until the extinction of the Earldoms on the death of Roger Grey, 10th Earl of Stamford in 1976. At this point the family estates were dispersed. Stamford Street, Stamford Park, Stamford Golf Club and the two Stamford Arms public houses in Stalybridge are all named after the Grey family.
The Municipal Borough of Stalybridge received its charter of incorporation on 5 March, 1857, having been formed from part of Ashton under Lyne parish in Lancashire and parts of Dukinfield and Stayley parishes in Cheshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Ashton under Lyne (1894–1937)
- Hyde (1937–74)
- Tameside (1974+)
- Mottram-in-Longdendale, St. Michael (C of E). The ancient parish church for Stayley and Matley.
- Stalybridge, Old St. George (C of E), Cocker Hill. Created a separate parish in 1798 from part of Ashton under Lyne township (Lancashire). Registers start in 1776. Registers 1864–1906 are in Manchester Central Library, and Bishop's Transcripts 1782–1820 are in Lancashire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, St. Paul (C of E), Huddersfield Road. Founded 1839 as the parish church for Stayley. Registers of Baptisms 1839–1982, Marriages 1841–1985 and Burials 1839–1991 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office
- Stalybridge (Castle Hall), Holy Trinity (C of E). A separate parish from 1840, serving part of Dukinfield township (which was subsequently absorbed into Stalybridge). Registers of Baptisms 1852–1925, Marriages 1852–1933 and Burials 1853–1879 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Millbrook, St. James (C of E). Registers of Baptisms 1863–1867, Marriages 1863–1990 and Burials 1863–1997 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, Christ Church (C of E), Quarry Street. Founded 1879 as the parish church for parts of Stayley and Dukinfield townships. Closed in 1976. Registers of Baptisms 1879–1976 and Marriages 1880–1975 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, St. Peter (Roman Catholic), Spring Bank Street. Founded 1838. Registers of baptisms 1839–1953, marriages 1841–1960 and burials 1839–1973 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Millbrook, St. Raphael (Roman Catholic). Founded 1958.
- Stalybridge, Ebenezer Baptist Chapel (Particular), Cross Leach Street. Founded 1813, Built in 1836. Registers 1807–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, Mount Pleasant (Mount Olive) Baptist Chapel. Founded 1804, Built in 1819 in Cross Street, rebuilt in 1846 in Wakefield Road. Registers 1809–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers 1846–1939 are in Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Bethel Methodist Chapel (New Connexion). Founded 1798, Built in 1831. Registers 1798–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Registers of baptisms and marriages 1838–1956 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Gospel Mission Room, Key Street.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Caroline Street. Founded 1762, Built in 1815, rebuilt in 1872. Registers 1812–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers of baptisms 1839–1874 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Grasscroft Street/Canal Street. Founded 1827, Built in 1892. Registers of baptisms 1845–1957 and marriages 1915–1957 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Grosvenor Square. Registers 1839–1842 are at Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Free), Booth Street. Built in 1849, rebuilt in 1877. Registers of baptisms 1865–1965 and marriages 1901–1963 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Portland Street. Built in 1864, closed in 1869.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Blandford Street. Founded 1869.
- Millbrook, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).
- Millbrook, Mount Tabor Methodist Chapel (New Connexion).
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Castle Street.
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Corporation Street.
- Stalybridge, Unitarian Chapel (Primitive), Canal Street. Founded 1860, Built in 1870.
- Stalybridge, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Melbourne Street. Built in 1830, rebuilt in 1861. Registers 1789–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office and Lancashire Record Office.
Church records, 1812-1837 Notes Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, London. Births, baptisms and burials at Caroline Street Chapel, parish of Dukinfield, 1812-1837. Staleybridge is partly in the parishes of Ashton-under-Lyne, Stockport, and Mottram. RG-4 series nos. 545, 546, 547.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Church records||BRITISH 20051 Items 5-7|
Poor Law Unions
- Ashton under Lyne
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.