Stalybridge Old St George, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Stalybridge Old St George is a chapelry partly in the township of Dukinfield, parish of Stockport, Cheshire and partly also in the parish of Ashton -under-Lyne, Lancashire created in 1798 from the ancient parish of Ashton Under Lyne [St Michael].
STALYBRIDGE, a market-town, in the union of Ashton-under-Lyne; partly in the Hartshead division of the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster; partly in the township of Dukinfield, parish of Stockport, and partly in the township of Stayley, parish of Mottram-in-Longdendale, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester; 1 mile (E. by S.) from Ashton, 7 miles (E.) from Manchester, and 8 (N. E. by N.) from Stockport; containing about 24,000 inhabitants. The town is seated in a deep valley, extending along both sides of the river Tame, which here divides Lancashire and Cheshire, and flows into the Mersey at Stockport. The name of Staly, originally Staveleigh, is derived from an ancient family who, in the reign of Edward III., occupied Stayley Hall, a portion of which mansion still remains; the addition arises from a bridge over the Tame, that connects the two counties, and which has been rebuilt. The town has been paved, and otherwise much improved, under an act obtained in 1828, authorising the appointment of commissioners for the direction of its police affairs, &c., and by which it was constituted a market-town. It is lighted with gas under an act granted for that purpose in 1842. A spacious town-hall, combining a marketplace, was erected in 1831, and opened December 30th in that year. The hall is a stately and well-built fabric, with a handsome entrance surmounted by massive pillars; the portion of the buildings appropriated to the market contains ample and neatly-arranged stalls for butchers' meat, fish, and fruit, and a gallery for the sale of general wares. The market-day is Saturday; and four cattle-fairs are held in the year. The magistrates for the two counties hold weekly petty-sessions in the great room of the town-hall; and the Ashton-under-Lyne court of requests for the recovery of small debts, presided over by a barrister, comprises Stalybridge within its jurisdiction. A police force has been maintained since 1828.
The cotton manufacture is almost the exclusive branch of trade; and its increase, and that of the town and population, have of late years been exceedingly rapid. For several centuries, a few straggling habitations were all that constituted the place; and little improvement was observable until its situation, and its proximity to ample supplies of coal, caused it to be chosen as a site for factories. The first cotton-mill was erected by a person named Hall, in 1776, and the first steam-engine was introduced in 1795. In the year 1814 the number of cotton-mills was 12; in 1825 the number was 22: it had increased in 1841 to 33, and is now more. In 1748, the village contained but 34 houses and 140 inhabitants; at present, the town ranks as one of the principal places for cotton-spinning in the kingdom, and it is calculated that at least 14,000 persons are now employed exclusively in the manufacture. Excellent fire-bricks are made here in large quantities. The facilities of communication have extended commensurately with the prosperity of the district. The road from Manchester runs on the north side; the Huddersfield canal passes parallel with the Tame through the centre of the town, and there are two railways at present completed; one being a short branch of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway, and the other a branch of the Manchester and Leeds railway. A third railway is in progress, connecting the district in a direct line with Huddersfield, in Yorkshire. The neighbourhood was formerly much covered with wood; it still presents some bold and impressive scenery, and from the hills near the town, one of which is 1300 feet above the level of the water, many fine and extensive prospects are obtained. The house of Thompson's-Cross received its designation from a plain cross which stood at the junction of several narrow lanes, at the entrance of the town from Manchester.
The old living of Stalybridge is a perpetual curacy, with an income of about £100; patron, the Earl of Stamford and Warrington. The chapel, at Cocker Hill, dedicated to St. George, was erected by subscription in 1776, and is of octagonal form; its interior is remarkably light and elegant, and the elevated site upon which it stands renders it a fine object when viewed from the vale of the Tame. An additional church, also dedicated to St. George, was built in 1840, partly by a parliamentary grant and partly by subscription, at a cost of £4500; it is situated to the west of Cocker Hill, is in the early English style, with a square tower, and contains 1200 sittings, whereof 500 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Ashton; net income, £140. At Stayley and Dukinfield are other churches. There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, Independents, and Roman Catholics. A day school, under the auspices of the British and Foreign School Society, has been established; and handsome and commodious day and Sunday schools have been built by the National Society, aided by subscription. Several other schools are maintained in connexion with the dissenting congregations. A mechanics' institution, to which an excellent library is attached, was opened in 1825; the laboratory is provided with very superior chemical and pneumatical apparatus, and there is a well-arranged and valuable collection of fossils and other geological specimens, principally obtained from the coal-measures in the immediate district. Among other buildings are, a Temperance Hall, erected at a cost of about £800, for scientific lectures and a school; and a " Forresters' Hall," built in 1836, at an expense of about £2200. The chief room of the latter has a gallery and organ, with a handsome window of stained glass 72 feet in height and 36 in width. In this Hall, is an evening school for the children of the members. Besides a branch of the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank, here is a savings' bank, established in 1828; the number of depositors in a recent year was 822, and the amount of deposits, £34,115. The interest of £100 was left in 1822, by the Rev. John Cape Atty, to be distributed on Christmas-day, to the poor attending Cocker Hill chapel. A petrified tree, the trunk about twelve feet in length and ten or twelve inches in diameter, was discovered in a stone-quarry in March 1831; it lay in the bed of a rock about 30 feet below the surface, and is now preserved in the museum of the Natural-History Society at Manchester.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 175-180. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51295 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Ashton under Lyne (1894–1937)
- Hyde (1937–74)
- Tameside (1974+)
- Mottram-in-Longdendale, St. Michael (C of E). The ancient parish church for Stayley and Matley.
- Stalybridge, Old St. George (C of E), Cocker Hill. Created a separate parish in 1798 from part of Ashton under Lyne township (Lancashire). Registers start in 1776. Registers 1864–1906 are in Manchester Central Library, and Bishop's Transcripts 1782–1820 are in Lancashire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, St. Paul (C of E), Huddersfield Road. Founded 1839 as the parish church for Stayley. Registers of Baptisms 1839–1982, Marriages 1841–1985 and Burials 1839–1991 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office
Parish registers for Old St. George's Church, Staleybridge, 1776-1930 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston; and formerly held atthe Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England.
The chapelry of Staleybridge (Old St. George) is in the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, in the counties of Cheshire and Lancashire.
An index for the parish can be found in the Cheshire Parish registers available in Historical Records( formerly Record Search)
Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 63/1/1; L 63/1/2/1-2; L 63/1/3; L 63/1/4l L 63/2000/52.
| Baptisms and burials, 1776-1812. Baptisms, 1813-1865.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2356038 Items 6 - 7
| Baptisms, 1776-1865. Burials, 1777-1865. (another filming)
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
| Baptisms, 1865-1906. Burials, 1813-1906. Marriages, 1864-1906. Register of graves, ca. 1860-1930.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2356039 Items 1 - 4
Bishop's transcripts for St. George's Church, Staleybridge, 1782-1820 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
The chapelry of Staleybridge (St. George) is in the parish of Ashton- under-Lyne, in the counties of Cheshire and Lancashire.
Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/16
| Baptisms, burials, 1782-1790, 1793-1820.
- Stalybridge (Castle Hall), Holy Trinity (C of E). A separate parish from 1840, serving part of Dukinfield township (which was subsequently absorbed into Stalybridge). Registers of Baptisms 1852–1925, Marriages 1852–1933 and Burials 1853–1879 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Millbrook, St. James (C of E). Registers of Baptisms 1863–1867, Marriages 1863–1990 and Burials 1863–1997 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, Christ Church (C of E), Quarry Street. Founded 1879 as the parish church for parts of Stayley and Dukinfield townships. Closed in 1976. Registers of Baptisms 1879–1976 and Marriages 1880–1975 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, St. Peter (Roman Catholic), Spring Bank Street. Founded 1838. Registers of baptisms 1839–1953, marriages 1841–1960 and burials 1839–1973 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Millbrook, St. Raphael (Roman Catholic). Founded 1958.
- Stalybridge, Ebenezer Baptist Chapel (Particular), Cross Leach Street. Founded 1813, Built in 1836. Registers 1807–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office.
- Stalybridge, Mount Pleasant (Mount Olive) Baptist Chapel. Founded 1804, Built in 1819 in Cross Street, rebuilt in 1846 in Wakefield Road. Registers 1809–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers 1846–1939 are in Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Bethel Methodist Chapel (New Connexion). Founded 1798, Built in 1831. Registers 1798–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Registers of baptisms and marriages 1838–1956 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Gospel Mission Room, Key Street.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Caroline Street. Founded 1762, Built in 1815, rebuilt in 1872. Registers 1812–1837 are at Lancashire Record Office. Registers of baptisms 1839–1874 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Grasscroft Street/Canal Street. Founded 1827, Built in 1892. Registers of baptisms 1845–1957 and marriages 1915–1957 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Grosvenor Square. Registers 1839–1842 are at Tameside Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Free), Booth Street. Built in 1849, rebuilt in 1877. Registers of baptisms 1865–1965 and marriages 1901–1963 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Portland Street. Built in 1864, closed in 1869.
- Stalybridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Blandford Street. Founded 1869.
- Millbrook, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).
- Millbrook, Mount Tabor Methodist Chapel (New Connexion).
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Castle Street.
- Stalybridge, Spiritualist Church, Corporation Street.
- Stalybridge, Unitarian Chapel (Primitive), Canal Street. Founded 1860, Built in 1870.
- Stalybridge, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Melbourne Street. Built in 1830, rebuilt in 1861. Registers 1789–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office and Lancashire Record Office.
Church records, 1812-1837 Notes Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, London. Births, baptisms and burials at Caroline Street Chapel, parish of Dukinfield, 1812-1837. Staleybridge is partly in the parishes of Ashton-under-Lyne, Stockport, and Mottram. RG-4 series nos. 545, 546, 547.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Church records||BRITISH 20051 Items 5-7|
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.