Standing Rock Indian Agency (North Dakota)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Sioux (of Missouri and Platte River), Blackfeet Sioux, Hunkpapa Sioux, and Yantonai Sioux,
The Standing Rock Agency succeeded the Grand River Agency which was established in 1869 for several bands of Sioux Indians. The Grand River Agency was moved to Standing Rock in 1873 and renamed Standing Rock Agency in 1874.
Some of the textual records of the Standing Rock Agency have been transferred to the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Kansas City. Among their many administrative files are the following records which may be of particular interest to family historians:
- Indian Court and Police Force Records, 1881-1926
- Census records, 1884-1939 FHL Film: 583006-583022
- School records, 1884-1928
- Annuity payrolls, 1904-1922
- Probate and Heirship records, 1908-1915
- Vital statistics, 1916-1939
Some of these records (and perhaps others of the agency records) have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and at their many family history centers.
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Standing Rock Agency, 1875-1880, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, rolls 846-852. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1661576 thru 1661582).
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Standing Rock Agency, 1875-1899, are on rolls 52-53 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1617725-1617726).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1885-1913, and from 1915 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 547-563. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 583006 thru 583022). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Standing Rock Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Standing Rock Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 260, Standing Rock Reservation, in Morton County, North Dakota and in District 48 in South Dakota where it is listed in the Bureau of the Census records as a separate locality of the state.. More information at Standing Rock Indian Reservation
Microfilm copies of...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Standing Rock Agency, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, rolls 144-145, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and their family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1724362-1724333).
Records available through the Family History Library
Annuity and rations various years including 1872 -1876,1878 -1885, 1907-1914,1920 FHL Film: 1021931-1021935
Census records 1876-1939 FHL Film: 1021938 -1021942, 1204877-1204879
1889 Census-list of males over 18 FHL Film: 1204879 items 3-4
Heirship 1900 -1920 FHL Film: 1204873 -1204874;1021935
Historical and Tribal Council Records FHL film: 1204875 Items 6-7
Land Records 1906 -1921 FHL Film: 1021935 and 1021875
Rations 1885, 1907-1914, Annuties 1886, 1920 FHL Film: 1021931-1021935
School Records 1886 -1941, 1915 -1941 FHL Film: 1204879 item5 -1204880
Vital Records -Tribal Adoptions 1905 -1923 FHL Film: 1021937
Vital Records-Birth, Marriage and Death 1880 -1942 FHL Film: 1204876 and 1021936
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Cathoilic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.