Stephenson County, IllinoisEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Stephenson County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||March 4, 1837|
|Address|| 15 North Galena Avenue|
Freeport, IL 61032
|Named for: Benjamin Stephenson|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- 1837--Stephenson County was created 4 March 1837 from Jo Daviess and Winnebago Counties. County seat: Freeport 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Stephenson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Stephenson Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Stephenson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Stephenson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Stephenson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Stephenson County.
- - 71st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 90th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
- - 92nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A, F and G.
- - 93rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies D and G.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Freeport City newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that covered local news on Stephenson County residents as well as residents from surrounding counties. The Rock Island Public Library provides free access to this resource at its library.
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- Stephenson County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback