Stowe, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stowe, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Stowe by Chartley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Great Heywood, Grindley, Drointon, Amerton, and Little Heywood.
STOWE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of the county, of Stafford, 7 miles ( N. E. by E.) from Stafford. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Stowe by Chartley St John the Baptist Ancient parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|STOWE PARISH (1574) Online Records|
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by StaffordshireFreereg and can be searched for free.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Stowe, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474623.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 234-238. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Staffordshire Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8