Strichen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Record Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computers at the Family History Library and family history centers. The records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: No entries February 1684–April 1686, and only one entry January 1699–January 1701. Before January 1721 occurs a leaf of irregular entries 1724–1739. After June 1756, irregular entries 1752–1767; and after September 1797, several pages of irregular entries dated 1738–1802. Mothers’ names recorded after January 1731. There is a copy of the record for 1780–1788 included in vol. 1.
Marriages: Records are blank September 1695–November 1701, and December 1703–May 1705. There are only two entries December 1740–February 1743. They are blank September1755–July 1757, and July 1764–April 1767. There is only one entry for 1780, and one August 1795–July 1801.
Deaths: Transcribed entries of Mortcloth Dues to 1730. Records are blank September 1730–December 1748, when a register of burials commences. Records are blank July 1764–February 1767 and there is a scroll of burial records 1789–1826.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
Minutes 1662–1688, 1701–1738, 1785–1827, 1827–1852, 1852–1879, with accounts
Cash Book 1756–1757, few leaves, 1767–1770, 1778–1786 with some minutes
Heads of Families 1834–1846, with gaps
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/344.
Nonconformist Church Records
New Leeds United Presbyterian Church
This congregation originated in the missionary operations of the United Associate Presbytery of Stewartfield. It opened as a mission station in1831. The congregation was organized in 1843. The first church was built in 1832, and the second built 1853.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source.
No known Records.
Strichen Free Church
Two elders and many of the congregation of the parish church “came out” at the Disruption. Services in connection with the Free Church were begun in June 1843. A church was erected in 1843–1844, and a manse in 1850. In 1890 the church was found to be insecure. A new church on a more convenient site was erected in 1894.
Membership: 1848, 184; 1900, 177.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details are given in the source.
FHL Film Number
Baptisms 1843–1933 1886479
Minutes 1843–1890 1886479
Return to Aberdeenshire parish list.