Suffolk, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
1910--Suffolk was created in 1910 from Nansemond County. 
- Bible Records of Suffolk & Nansemond County, Virginia: Together With Other ...: By Fillmore Norfleet
Church of England
- Hall, Wilmer Lee. The Vestry Book of the Upper Parish, Nansemond County, Virginia, 1743 - 1793. Richmond [Virginia]: Commonwealth of Virginia, Division of Purchase and Printing, 1949. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.553 K2h and US/CAN Film 973095 Item 2. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- Putnam, Martha A. Quaker Records of Southeast Virginia. Westminster, Maryland: Family Line Publications, 1996. Available at FHL. [Includes records about Quakers in Dinwiddie, Isle of Wight, Nansemond, Norfolk, Prince George, Southampton counties and Suffolk City from 1600s and 1700s (Blackwater Monthly Meeting, Chuckatuck Monthly Meeting, Pagan Creek Meeting, Western Branch Monthly Meeting, and Somerton Monthly Meeting.)]
- Ljungstedt, Milnor. "Items from Southern Records" [Showing Family and Trade Connections with Northern Colonies and the Home Countries], The American Genealogist, Vol. 15 (1938):95-104. Available at New England Ancestors. [Suffolk, VA surname: Gibson.]
Grants and Patents
- Hudgins. 882 patents dated 1638-1749 in what is now Suffolk City (previously Nansemond County), Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper, 2003. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
Civil War, 1861-1865
Since Suffolk was created in 1910 from Nansemond County, go to the Nansemond County page for information about the Civil War military units of that county. Civil War service men from Suffolk served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their area.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Suffolk.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 7 August 2012).