Suffolk County, Massachusetts GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- County government was abolished in 1999 (Wikipedia)
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Suffolk County, Massachusetts Genealogy census records online, see: Massachusetts Census.
1855 Massachusetts State Census—a free searchable index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1865 Massachusetts State Census—a free searchable index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Boston newspapers that covered local news on Suffolk County communities. Some libraries including the Boston Public Library provide free access to this database.
For Suffolk County the library has 439 microfilms of probate records, dockets from 1636 to 1901, and an index to 1910. Indexes of the probate records of Middlesex, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Worcester Counties have also been published. Each county has its own probate court.
A series of pre-1670 Suffolk County will abstracts, which originally appeared in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, have been reprinted in:
- Suffolk County Wills. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing, Inc., 1984. (Family History Library book 974.46 P2s; film 1320548 item 1.)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Suffolk County MA GenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Suffolk County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Suffolk County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Suffolk County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
|This Massachusetts-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.