Suffolk County, MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Massachusetts-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- County government was abolished in 1999 (Wikipedia)
Places / Localities
1855 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1865 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search – Pilot Site. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Boston newspapers that covered local news on Suffolk County communities.
For Suffolk County the library has 439 microfilms of probate records, dockets from 1636 to 1901, and an index to 1910. Indexes of the probate records of Middlesex, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Worcester Counties have also been published. Each county has its own probate court.
A series of pre-1670 Suffolk County will abstracts, which originally appeared in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, have been reprinted in:
- Suffolk County Wills. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing, Inc., 1984. (Family History Library book 974.46 P2s; film 1320548 item 1.)
Societies and Libraries
- The Suffolk County MA GenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Suffolk County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Suffolk County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Suffolk County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback