Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
(county boundary map; feel free to delete)
|Line 78:||Line 78:|
==== Local Histories ====
==== Local Histories ====
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
Revision as of 15:52, 15 October 2013
Guide to Sullivan County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sullivan County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1843|
|Address|| Sullivan County Courthouse|
109 N Main Street
Milan, MO 63556
Sullivan County Website
Recorder Deeds has incomplete birth records 1867-1895,
marriage and land records from 1845, death records 1883-1896;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1845;
Probate Judge has probate records from 1845
See an interactive map of Sullivan County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- 1870-1872 - Milan Catholic Church Baptism Index 1870-1872. Batch C511541 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871 - Milan Catholic Church Marriage Index 1871. Batch M511541 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Missouri Digital Heritage,
- Family Maps of Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Interactive map of Sullivan County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Sullivan County.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1867-1885 - Sullivan County Birth Index 1867-1884. Batches C514609, C514627, and C514628 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1845-1881 - Sullivan County Marriage Index 1845-1881. Batch M515851 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Sullivan County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515852 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Sullivan County Death Index 1883. Batch B514627 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sullivan County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.