Sullivan County, Tennessee Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Sullivan County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than 75 books or articles have been published about Sullivan County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested. <no include> </no include>
- Main article: Sullivan County, Tennessee
- [Combs] Descendant of Jonathan Combs, b. c1775, d. aft. 1850 Sullivan County, Tennessee. Y-DNA Test. Discussion of family and genetic matches in NJ, TN, KY available online, courtesy: Combs-Coombs &c. International DNA Study.
- [Smith] Descendant of Joseph Smith, b. 1797/98 Virginia, d. 1860s Sullivan County, Tennessee. Y-DNA Test. Discussion of family and DNA test available online, courtesy: Sullivan County, TN Genealogy Forum.
For early settlers (pre-1796), start with:
- East Tennessee Historical Society. First Families of Tennessee: A Register of Early Settlers and Their Present-day Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: East Tennessee Historical Society, 2000. FHL Book 976.8 H2ff.
Gordon Aronhime (1911-1983) collected information on hundreds of Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee pioneers. His note cards, which reference more than 4,000 early settlers of the Holston-Clinch River area and East Tennessee (1770s-1790s), are held at the Library of Virginia. The cards have been digitized and made available online.
A book that discusses many local families is:
- Holston Territory Genealogical Society and Sullivan County Historical and Genealogical Society. Families and History of Sullivan County, Tennessee. 2 vols. [Tenn.]: Holston Territory Genealogical Society, 1992-2006; Nashville, Tenn.: Turner Pub. Co., 2006. FHL Book 976.896 H2h.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Acuff] Reeves, LeRoy. Ancestral Sketches. Lynchburg, Va.: L. Reeves, 1951. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R259rLr.
- [Bachman] Bachman and Related Families of Sullivan Co., TN and Washington Co., VA, Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin, Vol. 2, No. 2. Available at FHL, see Periodicals.
- [Booher] McCay, Betty L. A History and Genealogy of the Booher Family, 1747-1964: Also a Few Interesting Tales. 1965. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 B644bm.
- [Booher] Booher, Eva. The Booher Family: Talents, Traits & Tales. Santa Monica, Calif.: E. Booher, 1996. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 B644boe.
- [Buchanan] Wright, Jessie May Buchanan and William Rolland Wright. The Familia Buchanan Ancestral-Desendental. Los Angeles: J.M.B. Wright and W.R. Wright, 1935. FHL US/CAN Film 386 Item 2.
- [Cawlfield] Farris, Vera Lorene Biddle and Eloise Wolfram Cawlfield. History of Cawfield [i.e. Cawlfield], Smith, Biddle and Related Families. California?: V.S.B. Farris?, 1973?. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C257f.
- [Chester] John Chester, Sullivan Co., TN, Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin, Vol. 22, No. 2. Available at FHL, see Periodicals.
- [Coats] Parker, John M. Coats and Griffiths Family History: James Oliver "J.O." Coats (1877-1973) and Mary "May" Griffiths (1880- 1976) were Married 5 August 1899 and Lived in the Rural Area of Douglas County, Missouri for Most of Their Lives Until 1959, When They Moved a Few Miles Away to Mountain Grove, Missouri: This is a Story of Their Ancestors and Descendants ... Mission Viejo, California: J.M. Parker, 1987. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C632p.
- [Copas] Copas, Cheryl A. From the Mouth of the Shenandoah: The William Copas Family of TN & KY. Snellville, Georgia: C.A.Copas, 1998. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C79cac.
- [Cornett] Cornett, J.D. and William Henry Young. Genealogy of William Cornett, 1761-1836. Germantown, Ohio: W.H. Young, . FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C815cj.
- [Cox] Yarberry, Barbara and Joseph Derum. Cox, Edmondson, Wilson Sr. & Wilson Jr. History. 1970. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 W694y.
- [Cox] Jennings, Clark W. Waves of Time: The Ancestry of Clark W. Jennings, MD. Hickory, North Carolina: C.W. Jennings, 1994. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 J441jc.
- [Crawford] Stephens - Crawford - Hall - Doak - Biddle - Boy Family Records, ca. 1690-1930. MSS. FHL US/CAN Film 1750788 Item 7.
- [Cross] Cross Family of Scott County, Tennessee. Typescript. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C884cr.
- [Cross] Smith, H.H. Information Relative to Sullivan County Families, Chiefly the Crosses. MSS., Blountville, Tenn., 1935. FHL US/CAN Film 927.
- [Crumley] Mottern, Hugh H. George Crumley Family of Sullivan County, Tennessee. Glenview, Ill.: H.H. Mottern, 1964. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C888m' digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [DeVault] DeVault, Newland. Henry and Mary Catherine DeWald (DeVault) of Manheim Township, York County, Pennsylvania, and Their Eleven Children: Many of Whom Spelled Their Names as DeVault, Especially Those Seven and Son and Daughter of an Eighth Who Settled in Washington and Sullivan Co., Tennessee; Including the Kitzmillers of Tennessee Centered Around the Area on the Watauga River Later Known as "DeVault's Ford". Banning, Calif.: DeVault, 1975. FHL US/CAN Film 1036923 Item 5.
- [Driver] Leslie Rowles Driver, Bristol Banker, Ansearchin' News, Vol. 51 (2004); Vol. 52 (2005). Available at FHL, see Periodicals.
- [Droke] Droke Family Association and Alfred W. Droke. Droke Family Association Report of Activities. Newsletter. Los Angeles, California: Droke Family Association, 1957-1993. FHL 929.27305 D835f.
- [Early] Early, Cleland Edward. The Early Families of Knox and Whitley Counties, Kentucky with Allied Families. Houston, Texas: D. Armstrong Co., 1989. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Ea76ea.
- [Easley] Reeves, LeRoy. Ancestral Sketches. Lynchburg, Va.: L. Reeves, 1951. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R259rLr.
- [Easley] Easley, Jim. Stephen and Mary Ann (David) Easley in Sullivan County, Tennessee. Kingsport, Tennessee: s.n., 1972. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Ea76ej.
- [Edwards] Edwards, Cyrus, Cader Edwards and Daughters of the American Colonists (Nevada). An Account of the Life and Public Services of Captain Cader Edwards: A Native of Wales and a Soldier of the American Revolution. 1962. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Ed95ec; FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 A1 no. 7910.
- [Faust] The Faust Family in the United States. (With: First Fausts in Pennysylvania / Harry E. Faust, 1930, Bartholomew County Library, Columbus, Ind.). FHL US/CAN Film 1516446 Item 23.
- [Feathers] Feathers, Omer C. The Descendants of John Feathers, Who Came from Ireland and Settled in Albemarle County, Virginia. Johnson City, Tenn.: O.C. Feathers, 1952. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 F313f. Revision: FHL 929.273 A1 no. 4372; FHL CD-ROM no. 5839.
- [Ferguson] Stallard, Christine and Conley D. Stallard. The Ferguson Connection: Russell County, Virginia, 1775-1994: A Family History. [Ormond Beach, Florida]: C. Stallard, 1995. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 F381st.
- [Fleenor] Hanson, Margery Frances Day and Richard Ewing Hanson. Receipt for an Inheritance, or, The Making of the Family: The Story of My Maternal Grandparents Jacob William Fleenor and Mary Susannah Hope, a Century of Their Ancestors, a Century of Their Descendants. Burlington, Vermont: R. Farnsworth, 1974. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 F624h.
- [Galloway] Galloway, O.V. and Alice Andrews Churchman Webb. Dubose, Hamilton, and Related Lines [ca. 1796-1971]. MSS. FHL US/CAN Film 1008689 Item 8.
- [Galloway] Mattson, Catherine Downey. My Downey Family: and Related Families: Aston, Evans, Galloway, Binney, Lewellen, Strait. Sedona, Arizona: C.D. Mattson, 1992. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 D759mt.
- [Gammon] Gammon, William Jefferson. Old Gammon Families and Their Descendants. Montreat, N.C.: n.p., 1965. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 G147g. [Discussion of Sullivan County Gammons begins on page 126.]
- [Gammon] Lowe, LaVerne Erroll Verne. A Sonner Family History and A Brief History of the Gammon Family. [Virginia Beach, Va.]: L.E. Lowe, 1979. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 So59L.
- [Giesler] Wynne, Diana Jones. Descendants of David Giesler (1816-1856) and Nancy Gross (1820-1910). 1971. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 G365w.
- [Greer] Green, Martin L. The Greer Family History. Glendale, Calif.: P.L.G. Tharp, 1978. FHL US/CAN Film 1516446 Item 25.
- [Gross] Wynne, Diana Jones. Descendants of David Giesler (1816-1856) and Nancy Gross (1820-1910). 1971. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 G365w.
- [Hamilton] Reeves, LeRoy. Ancestral Sketches. Lynchburg, Va.: L. Reeves, 1951. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R259rLr.
- [Hamilton] Parrish, Verle H. Hamilton Families of Eastern Kentucky: (Md., Del., W.Va., N.Car., S.Car., Tenn., Ky.). Georgetown, Ky.: V.H. Parrish, 1988. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 H18p.
- [Hedrick] Hedrick, George. An Incomplete Genealogy of the Hedricks and Related Families, from Abraham to Joanna... St. Paul, Minn.: G. Hedrick, 1990. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 H369he.
- [Hensley] Schreibman, Laura and Laura Hensley. The Hensleys of Ballplay, Monroe County, Tennessee. Hazel Park, Mich.: L. Schreibman, 199-?. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 A1 no. 6391.
- [Keith] Keith, Edward. The Keith/Bryant Connection. 1997?. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 K269kb; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online
- [King] King, Elijah S. The Descendants of Edward King of Sullivan County, Tennessee. Knoxville, Tenn.: Lawson McGhee Library, 1938. FHL US/CAN Film 1750734 Item 37.
- [King] Van Reekum, Hallie Virginia King. A Partial History of Edward King, 17-- to 1790, Lancaster County, Pa. Sullivan County, with Special Reference to His Son Thomas King, 1754 to 1847, Lancaster County, Pa. - Sullivan County, Tenn., and Including Some Information About Other Branches of His Family. Washington [District of Columbia]: Filmed by Reproduction Systems at D.A.R. Library, 1971. FHL US/CAN Film 877519 Item 4.
- [King] Phillips, Victor Nichols. The Book of Kings: The King Family's Contribution to the History of Bristol, Tennessee/Virginia. Johnson City, Tenn.: Overmountain Press, 1999. FHL 929.273 K58pv; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online
- [Laughlin] Early, Cleland Edward. The Early Families of Knox and Whitley Counties, Kentucky with Allied Families. Houston, Texas: D. Armstrong Co., 1989. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Ea76ea.
- [McKaughan] Perkins, Minniebell McKaughan. Cuz's of Sorts: North American Descendants of Gaelic Clan MacEachain. [Kerrville, Texas]: M.M. Perkins, 1991. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M192pm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online
- [McKinley] McCampbell, Nellie Pearl, David Babelay and Marian W. McCampbell. Samuel Shannon McCampbell [and] Sarah Prudence Smith McCampbell, Ancestors and Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: N.P. McCampbell, 1965. FHL US/CAN Film 982117 Item 3; 1971 copy: FHL US/CAN Film 876563 Item 10.
- [Mackey] Hoskinson, Josie Viser Henkel and Julia Ruth Bishop. Mackeys and Eberlys of Texas; and Allied Families of McIlwaine, Elgin, Harrison, Adams, Smallwood, Stone, Troope and Perry of Ky., Tenn., Md., and Va. [Norman, Oklahoma: s.n., 1965]. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M199h; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online *[Millard] Harris, C.H., H. Doyle Millard, Roy I. Millard, and John M. Millard. Samuel Millard of Sullivan County, Tennessee: His Ancestry and Descendants. Typescript, 1977. FHL US/CAN Film 1026818 Item 2.
- [Miller] Pearson, Hugh F. and Elmer F. Pearson. The Good Old Days. [Portland, Ore.]: E.F. Pearson, 1995. FHL US/CAN Film 1750861 Item 4.
- [Miller] John Miller of Sullivan Co., TN, Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin, Vol. 22, No. 1. Available at FHL, see Periodicals.
- [Mottern] Mottern, Hugh H. The John Nicholas Mottern Family of Sullivan County, Tennessee. 1999. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M858mh; digital version atFamilySearch Books Online
- [Netherland] See also Phipps.
- [Netherland] Spoden, Muriel Millar Clark. Ancestry and Descendants of Richard Netherland, Esquire (1764-1832). Kingsport, Tennessee: M.C.C. Spoden, 1979. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 N382s.
- [O'Dell] O'Dell Family of Sullivan Co., TN, Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin, Vol. 15, No. 2. Available at FHL, see Periodicals.
- [Parr] The Parr Families Pioneer Settlers in the Vicinity of Big Springs, Boone Co., Indiana. 1955. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 P246pf.
- [Payne] Peden, Eva Coe and Martha Powell Reneau. My Payne Ancestors: Barren County. 1969?. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 P293pec.
- [Phelps] Smith, Gordon Edward. Phelps Family History. Florence, Ala.: G.E. Smith, 1984. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 A1 no. 4577.
- [Phipps] Phipps-Netherland (Sullivan Co.), Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin, Vol. 3, Nos. 1-2. Available at FHL, see Periodicals.
- [Reeves] Reeves, LeRoy. Ancestral Sketches. Lynchburg, Va.: L. Reeves, 1951. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R259rLr.
- [Rhea] Historical Records Survey. Division of Women's and Professional Projects (Tennessee). Tennessee, Records of Sullivan County: Rhea Papers from the Collecton of Mrs. Charles R. Hyde (Anne Bachman Hyde), of Chattanooga, Tenn. Nashville: Historical Records Survey, 1939. FHL US/CAN Film 116.
- [Rhea] Foley, Edward F. The Descendants of Rev. Joseph Rhea of Ireland. Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1996. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R341f.
- [Roberts] Roberts, Harry D. and Mrs. Leonard W. Stevens. Roberts Family Research. Malibu, California: H.J. Roberts, 1974. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R542a; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Robeson] Reeves, LeRoy. Ancestral Sketches. Lynchburg, Va.: L. Reeves, 1951. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273 R259rLr.
- [Rutledge] Lewis, Richard Rutledge. The Rutledges of Vance, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Knoxville, Tenn.: R.R. Lewis, 1984, FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273 R937L.
- [Sanders] Sanders, W.R. Genealogy of the Sanders, Alison and Collateral Families of Sullivan & Washington Counties, Tennessee. Johnson City, Tenn.: W.R. Sanders, 1972. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273 Sa56sw.
- [Sawyers] Harris, Madison M. Family History of Col. John Sawyers and Simon Harris and Their Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: Knoxville Lithographing Co., 1913. FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1421635 Item 4.
- [Sharp] Sharp: Family Records. Original Records, Clark County Genealogical Society, Marshall, Ill.; FHL Collection US/CAN Film 1306074 Item 6.
- [Sharp] Last Will and Testament of John Sharp, Deceased, Sullivan County, Tennessee, Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin, Vol. 27, No. 2. Available at FHL, see Periodicals.
- [Sharrett] Sharrett, Stuart B. Sharrett Family: Brief History of Bristol Tennessee-Virginia, Washington and Sullivan Country. MSS., FHL Collection US/CAN Film 1421791 Item 3.
- [Shultz] Reagan, Donald B. Smoky Mountain Clans. 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: D.B. Reagan, 1978-1983. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273R22b 1978. The Shultz family is discussed in Vol. 2.
- [Simmons] Simmons, Paul V. The Descendants of Elkano Simmons and Nancy Jane Pierce Simmons. Lakewood, Colorado: P.V. Simmons, 1993. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273 Si47s].
- [Sitzler] Sistler, Byron H. Grandfather was Always a Very Old Man: A History of the Sitzlers of East Tennessee, and Sistlers and Sitcherls, and the Gibsons and Rexers of Pope County, Illinois. Evanston, Ill.: n.p., 1971. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273 Si84s].
- [Smith] Deuel, Geneve Smith. History of James Agee Smith: Featuring the Man, His Book, His Grandson. Spring Lake, Utah: G.S. Deuel, 1999. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 921.73 Sm61dg; digital version at BYU Family History Archives. [LDS]
- [Thomas] Baer, Frank L. The McNew Family of Washington Co., Va. Typescript, National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C. Microfilmed in 1971. FHL Collection US/CAN Film 874716 Item 4].
- [Thomas] Goodfellow, David M. Jacob Thomas, 1752-1824: A Search for the Descendents of Jacob and Louisa Thomas, Pioneers of Sullivan County, Tennessee: Research Notes and Family Group Sheets. Midland, Texas: D.M. Goodfellow, 1994. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273 T361g].
- [Vincent] Reeves, LeRoy. Ancestral Sketches. Lynchburg, Va.: L. Reeves, 1951. FHL Collection FAM HIST Book 929.273 R259rLr.
- [Weaver] Gill, Paul Rogers. Weaver--Rogers Family Pedigree Chart, ca. 1700-1963. MSS., 1989. FHL Collection US/CAN Film 1597807 Item 23.
- [Whisnand] Curtis, Oscar F. Whisnand Research File. MSS. FHL US/CAN Film 1638490 Item 30.
- [Woods] Willan, Florence Shank. A Family Tree (that Grew and Grew). Typescript, Morgan County Public Library, Martinsville, Ind. FHL Collection US/CAN Film 1502551 Item 12.
- ↑ "Original Virginia Records Imaged and Indexed Online," Arlene Eakle's Virginia Genealogy Blog, 12 October 2008.