Summary of Births in the United States by StateEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Places to look for Birth Records
- State Archives
- City and County civil registrations
- Chruch records of births and christenings
- Online records sites like Ancestry, Footnote, World Vital Records, Heritage Quest...
- FamilySearch in the Advanced Search, Records Search, and Historic Books
- Newspapers often listed new births
- Family Bibles and personal histories
- Obituraries often give birth information
- Census records sometimes give ages and in some records tell the month and year of birth
- Death records often contain birth information
- Tombstones usually give birth and death dates
- Submitted genealogies posted by others
- Google and other web site search sites, and don't forget to search Google Books
Look for more detailed information in the Wiki under each State by clicking on the link for Vital Records.
Summary of Online Birth Records by State
Arizona Births through 1932 searchable online at the Arizona Department of Health Services web site.
Vital Records of Massachusetts to 1850 at Google Books many these books are searchable free online at Google Books.
Vital Records of Massachusetts to 1850 at Ancestry.com many of these books are searchable at Ancestry.com
Michigan Birth Records 1867-1902 available to search free online at FamilySearch Record Search.
Utah State Archives has some indexes available to search online for some counties.
Utah Births, 1895-1905 available to search online at Ancestry.com. This database is comprised of Utah birth registers from Beaver, Carbon, Davis, Emery, Grand, Iron, Kane, Piute, Rich, Uintah, and Weber (excluding the city of Ogden) Counties from the years 1898-1905.
West Virginia Births 1853-1930 available to search free online at FamilySearch Record Search.
Raleigh County, West Virginia Birth Records, 1853-75 available to search online at Ancestry.com
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback