Summary of Births in the United States by StateEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Places to look for Birth Records
- State Archives
- City and County civil registrations
- Chruch records of births and christenings
- Online records sites like Ancestry, Footnote, World Vital Records, Heritage Quest...
- FamilySearch in the Advanced Search, Records Search, and Historic Books
- Newspapers often listed new births
- Family Bibles and personal histories
- Obituraries often give birth information
- Census records sometimes give ages and in some records tell the month and year of birth
- Death records often contain birth information
- Tombstones usually give birth and death dates
- Submitted genealogies posted by others
- Google and other web site search sites, and don't forget to search Google Books
Look for more detailed information in the Wiki under each State by clicking on the link for Vital Records.
Summary of Online Birth Records by State
Arizona Births through 1932 searchable online at the Arizona Department of Health Services web site.
California Births 1905-1995 searchable online at Ancestry.com for a fee.
Illinois, Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922 is free at FamilySearch Record Search. It is not yet complete.
Illinois, Cook County Birth Certificates, 75 years or older is at Genealogy Online, Historical Cook County Illinois Vital Records, Cook County Clerk. Using the index is free, but there is a fee for the records.
Indiana Births, 1880-1920 searchable online at Ancestry.com for a fee.
Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999 searchable online at Ancestry.com for a fee.
Vital Records of Massachusetts to 1850 at Google Books many these books are searchable free online at Google Books.
Vital Records of Massachusetts to 1850 at Ancestry.com many of these books are searchable at Ancestry.com
Michigan Birth Records 1867-1902 available to search free online at FamilySearch Record Search.
Minnesota Birth Certificates, 1900-1934, searchable online at the Minnesota Historical Society. Using the index is free, but there is a fee for the records.
Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002, searchable online at Ancestry.com for a fee.
Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910, searchable online at Ancestry.com for a fee.
Missouri Birth & Death Records Database, Pre-1910, searchable free online at the Missouri State Archives web site.
Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements, 1851-2003, searchable at Ancestry.com for a fee.
New York City Births, 1891-1902, searchable at Ancestry.com for a fee.
Utah State Archives has some indexes available to search online for some counties.
Utah Births, 1895-1905 available to search online at Ancestry.com. This database is comprised of Utah birth registers from Beaver, Carbon, Davis, Emery, Grand, Iron, Kane, Piute, Rich, Uintah, and Weber (excluding the city of Ogden) Counties from the years 1898-1905.
West Virginia Births 1853-1930 available to search free online at FamilySearch Record Search.
Raleigh County, West Virginia Birth Records, 1853-75 available to search online at Ancestry.com