Summary of Death Records in the United States by StateEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Places to look for Death Records
- State Archives
- City and County civil registrations
- Chruch records of deaths and burials
- Online records sites like Ancestry, Footnote, World Vital Records, Heritage Quest...
- FamilySearch in the Advanced Search, Records Search, and Historic Books
- Newspapers often listed articles about deaths
- Family Bibles and personal histories
- Tombstones usually give birth and death dates
- Submitted genealogies posted by others
- Google and other web site search sites, and don't forget to search Google Books
Look for more detailed information in the Wiki under each State by clicking on the link for Vital Records.
Summary of Online Death Records by State
- This Page is under construction *** The plan is to add links to online death records only and to create a link for each state back to that States Vital Records page for more detailed information. ***See UTAH below as an example***
Arizona Department of Health Services has searchable Death Certificates from 1844 to 1957 most include images of certificates.
Arizona Gravestone Photos has photos of 1000's of gravestones in Arizona cemeteries.
Missouri State Archives has searchable online death certificates from 1910 to 1957.
Missouri Death Records 1834 to 1931 are available for search online at Ancestry.com.
More searchable Missouri Death Records are available online at Ancestry.com
Utah Death Certificates 1904-1956 is searchable online at FamilySearch Record Search for free (index with images)
Utah Death Certificates 1904-1956 is searchable online at Utah State Archives for free (index with Images)
Utah Death Index 1905-1951 is searchable online at Ancestry.com