Sumter County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Sumter County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1832|
Sumpter County Courthouse
Livingston, AL 35470
Phone: (205) 652-2291
Probate Judge has a few birth records from 1888-1918
marriage and probate record from 1833,
land records and historical voters maps 
1832--Sumter County was created 18 December 1832 from the Choctaw Cession of 1830.
County seat: Livingston 
1901 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Kemper County, Mississippi
- Lauderdale County, Mississippi
- Noxubee County, Mississippi
- Brewersville Cemetery, Belmont
- Brown Cemetery, Livingston
- Henagan Cemetery, Livingston
- Lee Cemetery, Epes
- Livingston Memorial Gardens, Livingston
- Maye Cemetery, Livingston
- Myrtlewood Cenetery, Livingston
- New Prospect Cemetery, Livingston
- Odd Fellows Cemetery, Gainesville
- Old Cemetery, Gainesville
- Old Cemetery of African and American Minorities of African Descent, Boliger
- Roy Cemetery, Epes
- Shady Grove Cemetery, Livingston
For tips on accessing Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Web Sites USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sumter County p. 39. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).