Sumter County, AlabamaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Sumter County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1832|
County CourthouseSumpter County Courthouse
Livingston, AL 35470
Phone: (205) 652-2291
Probate Judge has a few birth records from 1888-1918
marriage and probate record from 1833,
land records and historical voters maps 
1832--Sumter County was created 18 December 1832 from the Choctaw Cession of 1830.
County seat: Livingston 
1901 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Kemper County, Mississippi
- Lauderdale County, Mississippi
- Noxubee County, Mississippi
- Brewersville Cemetery, Belmont
- Brown Cemetery, Livingston
- Henagan Cemetery, Livingston
- Lee Cemetery, Epes
- Livingston Memorial Gardens, Livingston
- Maye Cemetery, Livingston
- Myrtlewood Cenetery, Livingston
- New Prospect Cemetery, Livingston
- Odd Fellows Cemetery, Gainesville
- Old Cemetery, Gainesville
- Old Cemetery of African and American Minorities of African Descent, Boliger
- Roy Cemetery, Epes
- Shady Grove Cemetery, Livingston
Additional Sumter County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 1 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Sumter County, Alabama see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Sumter County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.141 E7b.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Sumter County is in District 2.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Sumter County Historical Society
p.o. Box 213
Livingston, Alabama 35470
Hightower Memorial Library
630 Ave. A
York, Alabama 36925
Ruby Pickens Tartt Public Library
201 Monroe St.
Livingston, Alabama 35470
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Sumter County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sumter County p. 39. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here