Sumter County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Sumter County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1832|
1832--Sumter County was created 18 December 1832 from the Choctaw Cession of 1830.
County seat: Livingston 
1901 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Kemper County, Mississippi
- Lauderdale County, Mississippi
- Noxubee County, Mississippi
- Brewersville Cemetery, Belmont
- Henagan Cemetery, Livingston
- Myrtlewood Cenetery, Livingston
- Odd Fellows Cemetery, Gainesville
- Old Cemetery, Gainesville
For tips on accessing Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Web Sites USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sumter County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).