SurinameEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|News and Events|
| Negotiations are going on to film the 'Wijkregisters' (Wardregisters), as well as other information about Suriname, located in the Netherlands' National Archive. |
Getting started with Suriname research
Suriname is divided into 10 districts (distrikten)
The capital city of Suriname is Paramaribo
For more geographical and historical information see Suriname
- Suriname WorldGenWeb Project
- Database of freed slaves
- Stichting Instituut ter Bevordering van de Surinamistiek (IBS)
- Suriname Genealogy - Stichting voor Surinaamse Genealogie
- Kasan.nl - usefull indexes on birth and death records, census 1811, 1921, electoral roles etc.
Historische Database Suriname
The website ‘Vrij in Suriname’ (Free in Suriname) contains contains personal- and familie information of freed Suriname slaven and free blacks in Suriname. This site functions as a platform for different databases. At this moment there are two:
- De database Surinaamse manumissies 1832 – 1863
- De database Surinaamse emancipatie 1863
A "Boeroe" is:
1. a descendant of Dutch speeking colonists in Suriname,
2. a person who has a farm, pasture or mixed bussines or
3. a person living on the flat lands
The web-site is in Dutch, but you can click on the 'Nieuws' (News) button and find new genealogies, or click on the 'Genealogie' (Genealogy) button
Did you know?
Suriname is one of the few countries in the world where you can find a Synagogue next to a Mosque (another place is Sofia, Bulgaria).
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
|News and Events|
Negotiations are going on to film the 'Wijkregisters' (Wardregisters), as well as other information about Suriname, located in the Netherlands' National Archive.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback