Sussex GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|News & Events|
|**Please add upcoming genealogical news and events.**|
Key topics to get started:
|Did You Know?|
|**Please add items of interest.**|
For other places of the same name, see the Sussex Disambiguation page.
Use an interactive map to find jurisdictions for each parish in Sussex.
When civil registration of births, marriages and deaths began in 1837, Sussex was divided into a number of registration districts, each containing several parishes. The index to the civil records gives the name of the district where an event took place. Click here to see a list of the civil districts in Sussex and the parishes covered by each. Read more about England Civil Registration.
See the parishes of Sussex.
Before 1858, every town and parish in Sussex was under the probate jurisdiction of several ecclesiastical courts. To read more about probate records and see a list of Sussex towns and parishes and the probate courts that had jurisdiction over them, go to Sussex Probate Records.
These websites contain information of value for Sussex research:
- http://www.thesussexweald.org/home.asp - parish records, maps, books, pedigrees etc for the Weald an area 120 miles long and 30 miles wide encompassing many small towns in Sussex, Kent and Surrey.
- http://www.sussexrecordsociety.org/plhome.asp?an=&ap - Sussex poor Law records, settlements and removels
- http://www.barriesgenealogy.co.uk/html/broadwater_worthing.html - includes links to a variety of sources for Sussex.
- http://www.sussex-opc.org/ - Online parish clerk for Sussex, England
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Burtenshaw/?yguid=138587594 - Burtenshaw family of or from Sussex
- Our Sussex - Our Genealogy Sussex England in General.
Figg and Associated Families of Sussex England and other counties.
To view a brief list of additional web sites and/or web pages for Sussex and many of its parishes, visit FHLFavorites.info.
|English Channel||English Channel||English Channel|