Sussex County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Main article: Sussex County, Virginia
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Sussex County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 75 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Sussex County families include:
- Doyle, Stuart W. Roots Exposed the Lineage and Interrelationships of 15 Family Branches from Virginia's Sussex, Southampton and Greensville Counties. [Orlando, Fla.?]: S.W. Doyle, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 D772ds [Includes Clanton, Graves, Heath, Hill, Hunnicutt, Maine, Massenburg, Reese, Seaborne, Smith, Vaughn, West, Wright and related families.]
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Sussex County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
- Ricks, Joel and William G. Stanard. W.G. Stanard's Extracts from Virginia Records (in Three Parts). MSS., 1942-1943, microfilmed reproduction: FHL Collection [Includes genealogical and biographical notes about residents of Sussex County.]
- [Bailey] Wyatt Bailey Family of Sussex County, Virginia, 1817-1818. MSS., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Barham] Joyner, Ulysses P. From the Pagan to the Nottoway: The Occupation of the Land by the Europeans 1607-1800. Orange, Va.: U.P. Joyner, 2008. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 975.55 H2j.
- [Bassette] Johnson, Martha C. Black Families of Elizabeth City Co., VA, 1800-1990: Research of Families of Callis, Davis, Simpson, Radcliff, Originating from Gloucester Co., Mathews Co., York and James Counties and Elizabeth Co., Hampton, Virginia. Microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Bonner] Bonner, Kathryn R. The Bonner Family Record: This Record is Primarily of the Bonners of Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia, Those that Went to Wilson, Madison and Shelby Counties, Tennessee, and Those that Went On to Phillips County, Arkansas: Today the Descendants are Spread into Many States. Marianna, Ark.: K.R. Bonner, 1979. Available at FHL.
- [Bullock] Upton, Marie Luter. Bullock Twigs and Branches. Madison, Miss.: M.L. Upson, 1966. Available at FHL.
- [Burrow] Phillip Burrow (1) (1774-1861)--and Descendants. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Cain] Harmon, Francis Stuart. Adam's Eves. New York, 1964.
- [Cain] Cain, Stith Malone. A History of Our Cain Family of Virginia, Alabama and Tennessee. Whitewater, Wis.: S.M. Cain, 1970. FHL Book 929.273 C123ca
- [Cain] Cain, Stith Malone. "The Cain Family of Southside Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 15, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1971):48-49. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 15 (1971).
- [Clanton] Clanton, Velda E. and Lee R. Clanton. Clanton Family History and Lineage Lines. 2 vols. Hagerstown, Maryland: L.R. & V.E. Clanton, [1993?]. FHL Book 929.273 C529c.
- [Dixon] Austin, Jeannette H. Some Descendants of Roger Dixon, Died 1744, Sussex County, Virginia. MSS., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Edmunds] Edmunds, Mary Stuart Green. "Edmunds Family," Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 17 (1935-1936):59-63, 111-117, 193-199. Reprinted in Genealogies of Virginia Families from Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. Volume I: Albidgton-Gerlache. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1981. Free Name Search; publisher's bookstore: Genealogical.com; FHL Book 975.5 D2gvf v. 1.
- [Ellis] McCrary, Dixie L. The Ellis Line from Surry--Sussex in Virginia. St. Petersburg, Fla.: D.L. McCrary, 1978. Available at FHL.
- [Freeman] Hopkins, Garland Evans. Freeman Forbears: Being the History, Genealogy, Heraldy [sic], Homes and Traditions of the Family of Freeman and Related Families Originating in the Original Shires of James City and Charles River in Virginia. Va.: G.E. Hopkins, 1942. FHL Film 873158 Item 10
- [Gilliam] Old, Mary A. Gillam Charts (1989). [Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada: M.A. Old, 1989]. Available at FHL.
- [Grammar] Randall, Ruth. "Family Lore and Effects of Slavery on the Black Psyche: Rosa Grammar's Choice," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 97, No. 2 (June 2009):85-96. FHL 973 B2ng v. 97
- [Green] Staubach, Emilee Mills. Greens of South Side Virginia. Genealogical Loose Papers, Department of Archives and History; also available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Grigg] Grigg, L. Richard. A Genealogical Report to the Grigg Family Covering Horton-Hurst-Pell-Grigg,Pinson and Rambo Lines. MSS., 1978, available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Guilham] See Gilliam.
- [Hardie] Clark, Robert M. Hardie, Vincent, Gaines, and Related Families from Virginia to Texas. [Dallas, Texas?]: R.M. Clark, 1989. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] DeBruler, Eva. A Historical, Biographical and Genealogical Account of Certain Branches of the DeBruler and Hargrave Families. Bloomington, Ind.: Feltus Printing Co., 1938. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] Gray, Beulah B. Richard Hargrave, Pioneer and Circuit Rider of Indiana: ca.1750-1879. 1942. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] Wanda, Beatrice, Carrie Little Ringer and John W. Hargrave. Hargrave and Allied Families. Cincinnati: J.W. Hargrave, 1954. Available at FHL.
- [Hargrave] Gray, Beulah B. Genealogical Chart and Notes on the Hargrave Family of Pike County, Indiana. MSS., microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Hargrove] See Hargrave.
- [Harper] Harper, James Edward. Harper, Kennebrew ... Etc. Falls Church, Va.: J.E. Harper, 1982. Vol. 1 available at FHL.
- [Harris] Brainard, Emma Harris and Josephine Polk Harris Cumins. The Harris Family of Sussex County, Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland. MSS., Hall of Records, Dover, Delaware; microfilmed reproduction available at FHL.
- [Harris] Herrmann, Benjamin E. Items about [the] Harris Family. 1999?. FHL Book 929.273 H24hbe
- [Hight] Wallace, Robert E. Hight-Hite Families of Sussex and Surry Counties, Virginia, from about 1634: 1,333 Descendants, with a Full-Name Index of 2,736 Names of Those Who Went to Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, North Carolina and Those Who Stayed in and Around Lunenburg County, Virginia with Chronology, Abstracts from the Register of Albemarle Parish, and Records of New Kent, Surry, Sussex, Lunenburg and Prince George Counties (487 Surnames). Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, c1976, 1993. Available at FHL.
- [Hight] Wallace, Robert E. Hight-Hite, Prindle-Pringle & Wallace Families. Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 2000. Available at FHL.
- [Hines] Hines, Benjamin McFarland. Hines and Allied Families: Some Descendants of William Hines of Sussex County, Virginia (ca.1690- 1760) and a Record of Their Principal Allied Families, Watson (Virginia, Mississippi); Shackelford (Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia); Nisbet (North Carolina, Georgia); and Kennon (Virginia). [Fairfield, Connecticut]: B.M. Hines, 1981. Available at FHL.
- [Hite] See Hight.
- [Houston] Houston, Mary Christine and Francis Neil Houston. Ancestors and Descendants of Leonard Houston Sr., ca. 1633-1990. Topeka, Kansas: M.C. Houston, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 H818hh
- [Inman] Inman, Joseph Francis. The Inman Family of Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia and Some of Their Kin. Richmond, Va.: J.F. Inman, 1975. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 5404
- [Jarrad] "Jarrad Family: Records from the Bible of Joseph Jarrad, Sussex County, Virginia," Virginia Tidewater Genealogy, Vol. 38, No. 1, Mar. 2007, p. 24. WorldCat link.
- [Judkins] Judkins Family Association and Kathleen Ann Abendroth. The Judkins Journal. Seattle, Wash.: Judkins Family Association, 1986-2001. FHL Book 929.27305 J919j
- [Knight] Harlander, Anna Knight and E.V. Knight. Ephraim Knight, His Ancestors, Descendants and Allied Families. Pasadena, Calif.: A. Harlander, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Lanier] Ingersoll, Louise. Lanier: A Genealogy of the Family Who Came to Virginia and Their French Ancestors in London. Washington, D.C.: Goetz Printing Company, 1965. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- [Lanier] McCall, Leon Cleveland. Robert and Mary Lanier McCall: South Georgia Pioneers and Some of Their Descendants. Hiawassee, Georgia: L.C. McCall, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [McCall] McCall, Leon Cleveland. Robert and Mary Lanier McCall: South Georgia Pioneers and Some of Their Descendants. Hiawassee, Ga.: L.C. McCall, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 M124mL 1988
- [Malone] Cain, Stith Malone. "The Malone Family of Southside Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 13, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1969):99-105. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 13 (1969).
- [Mangum] Parham, James Lynn. Mangum Family Bulletin. [Newsletter] 38 vols. Huntsville, Alabama: J.L. Parham, 1969-1992. Available at FHL.
- [Mangum] Inman, Joseph Francis. The Inman Family of Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia and Some of Their Kin. Richmond [Virginia]: J.F. Inman, 1975. Available at FHL.
- [Mangum] Parham, James Lynn. Mangum - Mangham - Mangrum Journal. [Newsletter] Huntsville, Ala.: J.L. Parham, 2000-2004. Available at FHL.
- [Mangum] Parham, James Lynn. The Mangum CD: (Combined) Mangum Family Bulletin and The Mangum - Mangham - Mangrum Journal. Huntsville, Alabama: J.L. Parham, 2004. Available at FHL.
- [Mitchell] Olney, Adelle Whitby. Mitchell Family Records. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Moore] Lockard, Isabel. The Family of Richard H. Moore and Rebecca S. Clements: and Their Relation to the Shands, Lee, Parker and Jennings Families. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Moss] O'Neal, Arey Moss. Epes--Moss Family Genealogical Records, 1599-1978. MSS. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1320608 Item 32
- [Neblett] Branom, Jeanne. The Neblett-Middleton Connection. Commerce, Texas: J. Branom, 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Parham] Boddie, Mrs. John Boddie. Historical Southern Families. Volume XIV. Baltimore, 1970. FHL Book 975 D2b v. 14.
- [Pettway] Evans, June Banks. Using Virginia Land Records in Family History: Kettlestick, Flat Rock, Tar Kiln and Crooked Run: Blackwell -- Hite -- Ussery -- Pettway. New Orleans, Louisiana: Bryn Ffyliaid Publications, 2001. Available at FHL.
- [Prichard] Horlacher, Doris Melissa Pritchett. Pritchett In America, Waller, Pritchard, Prickett, Phelan, 1987. Orem, Utah: Horlacher & Sons, 1987. Available at FHL.
- [Raney] Brandon, Rosa R. Raney Days. Wilson, North Dakota: R.R. Brandon, 1974. Available at FHL.
- [Reynolds] Tillman, Stephen Frederick. The Rennolds-Reynolds Family of Virginia and England, 1530-1948. Washington, D.C.: S.F. Tillman, 1959. FHL Book 929.273 R333t; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Ancestors and Descendants of Frederick Rose: of Sussex County, Virginia, Orange County, North Carolina, and Wayne and Hardin Counties, Tennessee. San Jose, Calif.: C.C. Rose, 1980. Available at FHL.
- [Shanko] Shanko, Jay. Shanko Family Geneology. St. Petersburg, Florida: N.H. Shanko, [1966?]. Available at FHL.
- [Spiers] Lane, Marian Spiers. Census Reports of Spiers, Spires, Speirs: Prince George, Sussex, Dinwiddie, Surry, Virginia. MSS., 3 vols., also available at FHL.
- [Sterling] See Neblett.
- [Tudor] LaChapelle, A.G. Leigh. The Genealogy of the Tudor Family, 1720-1987: of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas. Farmington Hills, Michigan: A.G. LaChapelle, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 T811L.
- [West] Stone, Letta Brock and Leonardo Andrea. West Genealogical Research, 1550-1950. MSS., 71 vols. Microfilmed reproduction available at FHL. [FHL US/CAN Film 1421740 Item 2 includes West genealogical information from Southampton, Surrey, Sussex, and Isle of Wight Counties, Virginia.]
- [Wilkinson] Wilkinson, George Carroll and Gene Cox Wilkinson. The Wilkinsons of Sussex County, Virginia: Related Families: Magee, Cox, Goodwyn and Other Extended Family Ties. [Dallas, Texas: G.C. Wilkinson], 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Wilkinson] Wilkinson, George Carroll and Gene Cox Wilkinson. The Wilkinsons of Isle of Wight, Surry and Sussex Counties, Virginia, and Related Families: Magee, Cox, Goodwyn and Other Allied Family Ties. n.p.: G.C. Wilkinson, 2006. Available at FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Woodruff] Woodruff, Audrey Lee Wagner. Tall Trees in the Forest: The Woodruff Family of Virginia, Alabama, and Missouri. Kansas City, Mo., 1966. FHL Book 929.273 W86b
- [Wyche] Town, Jan Wyche. Wyche Family History. Burleson, Texas: J.W. Town, 1989. Available at FHL.
- [Yecoshenko] See Shanko.
- ↑ Name Search at Genealogical.com is a comprehensive name index to 638 books and CDs published or reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company (now Genealogical.com). For a complete list of the works included, see Publications in Name Search at Genealogical.com
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More