Sweden, Örebro Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Sweden, Örebro Church Records, 1613-1918; index 1635-1860 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Sverige, Orebro, Kyrkoböcker Register
The collection consists of church records from the county of Örebro for the years 1613-1918 with an index for the years 1635 to 1860. It contains clerical surveys, registers of birth, marriage, death, move-in and move-out lists, confirmations, church accounts, and indexes to births, marriages, and deaths. The earliest records are handwritten in narrative style, and all events were recorded chronologically. After a few years, the records were grouped by event and recorded in separate books. Keep in mind that not all record types are available for all parishes.
The collection uses the same record classifications to identify the content of each book as those specified by the National Archives of Sweden. Because of this, the information on the titleboard image may not match the description of the record in the online Historical Records collection or in the Family History Catalog. The information used to create the descriptions was provided by the Archives of Sweden. For a complete list of the record classifications see the section “How to Use the Records” below, or the wiki article: Sweden: Church Archive Cataloging Plan.
For a list of records by parishes published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
- Parishes in Örebro. Sweden, Örebro Church Records. Landsarkivet I Uppsala, Sweden.
A coverage table for Örebro is available in the wiki article FamilySearch Digital Image Collection for Örebro, Sweden
The coverage table lists all the parishes in Örebro along with the following:
- Associated digital genealogical society (DGS) numbers
- Name of parish
- Swedish archival letter code by the record type
- Volume and Years
- Remarks from the national archives that offers some detail into the content of the record. These remarks are in Swedish, but most of the words are key genealogical terms.
The columns can be sorted by clicking on the box by the title of each column. Place lists can be found on the actual parish pages.
Tips about the Coverage Table
- Most of the microfilming done by the Genealogical Society of Utah in Sweden took place in the 1950s. Since that time some volumes have been renumbered or reclassified by the archives. As a result, the information you may see on the microfilming titleboard may not exactly match the description in the table below.
- Some collections have had records added to them since they were microfilmed. Because of this, the description in the Volume and Year and Remarks columns may indicate that records are available beyond the time when they were filmed. In these cases you should contact the national or regional archive to determine what is accessible.
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran birth or christening or birth (Födde) records are:
- Child’s name
- Christening date
- Sometimes the birth date
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ marital status
- Parents’ residence
- Father's occupation
- Sometimes the mother’s age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran marriage (Vigde) records are:
- Groom’s name
- Depending on the time period, the groom’s marital status, residence, and age
- Bride’s name
- Depending on the time period, the bride’s marital status, residence, and age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran death or burial (Döde) records are:
- Name of the deceased
- Death date
- Burial date
- Marital status and sometimes the spouse’s name
- Sometimes other biographical notes
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran moving records (Inflyttnings and Utflyttnings) are:
- Name of person moving
- Former residence
- New residence
- Sometimes marital status
- Sometimes occupation, marital status, or title
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran clerical surveys (Husförhörslängd) are:
- Name of each member of the household
- Birth dates
- Deaths within the year
- Marriages within the year
- Moves within the year (including where they moved to or from)
- Marital status
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran church account registers (räkenskaper) are:
- Residence within the parish
- Amount paid
- May give reason for payment
How to Use the Records
For detailed information on using Swedish church records, see the wiki article: Swedish Church Records
Choosing a Record to Search
The types of record books that are available are different for each parish. The following chart lists the types of records and the English translation.
|Död- och begravningsböcker||Death and burial book|
|Inflyttningsattester||Moving in records|
|In och utflyttiningslängder||Moving in and out record|
|Utflyttiningslängder||Moving out record|
|Födelse och dopböcker||Birth and baptism or christening book|
|Födelse- och dopböcker Duplettserie||Birth and baptism or christening book double or second series|
|Församling||Parish or congregation|
|Husförhörslängd||Household examination record; also called clerical survey|
|kladdböcker||Draft copy of the church book|
|Lysning and vigselböcker||Banns and marriage book|
|Längder över nattvardsgäster (kommunionlängder)||Communion book|
|Räkenskaper för kyrka||Records of accounts for the church|
|Volum och år||Volume and year|
Help with the Language
These records are in Swedish so you will need to be able to understand written Swedish. For help with reading the records, please see the following wiki articles:
FamilySearch began indexing the church records of Sweden in 2009. Initial indexing efforts are focused on birth, marriage, and death records. Eventually, the project will index moving records, some confirmations, and household examinations. Access to the indexed data is available through familysearch.org.
If you would like to participate in indexing Swedish records see the following: Worldwide Records Indexing.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- Genealogy Research in Sweden
- Genline: Swedish Genealogy Online
- Arkiv Digital: Swedish Church Records Online (in color)
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
"Sweden Örebro Church Records, 1541-1860." database and digital images, (https://familysearch.org: accessed 7 April 2011). Kerstin Hankasddr, 23 October 1757; citing Church Records, FHL microfilm 149,076; National Archives of Sweden, Riksarkivet, Sweden.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback