Sweden, Gävleborg Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Sweden, Gävleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Sverige, Gävleborg, Kyrkoböcker Register
The collection consists of church records from the county of Gävleborg. It contains indexes to births, marriages, and deaths and also images of clerical surveys, registers of birth, marriage, death, move-in and move-out lists, confirmations, church accounts, etc.
For a list of records by parishes published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- Parishes in Gävleborg. Sweden Gävleborg Church Records. National Archives of Sweden,Marieberg, Stockholm.
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran birth or christening or birth (Födde) records are:
- Child’s name
- Christening date
- Sometimes the birth date
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ marital status
- Parents’ residence
- Fathers’ occupation
- Sometimes the mother’s age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran marriage (Vigde) records are:
- Groom’s name
- Depending on the time period, the groom’s marital status, residence, and age
- Bride’s name
- Depending on the time period, the bride’s marital status, residence, and age
- Witnesses and their residences
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran death or burial (Döde) records are:
- Name of the deceased
- Death date
- Burial date
- Marital status and sometimes the spouse’s name
- Sometimes other biographical notes
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran moving records (Inflyttnings and Utflyttnings) are:
- Name of person moving
- Former residence
- New residence
- Sometimes marital status
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran clerical surveys (Husförhörslängd) are:
- Name of each member of the household
- Birth dates
- Deaths within the year
- Marriages within the year
- Moves within the year (including where they moved to or from)
- Marital status
The key genealogical facts found in most Lutheran church account registers (räkenskaper) are:
- Residence within the parish
- Amount paid
- May give reason for payment
How to Use the Record
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Socken" (Parish) category
⇒Select the "Signum" category
⇒Select the "Volum och år" (Volume & year) category which takes you to the images
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For detailed information on using Swedish church records, see the wiki article: Swedish Church Records
Choosing a Record to Search
The types of record books that are available are different for each parish. The following chart lists the types of records and the English translation.
|Död- och begravningsböcker||Death and burial book|
|Inflyttningsattester||Moving in records|
|In och utflyttiningslängder||Moving in and out record|
|Utflyttiningslängder||Moving out record|
|Födelse och dopböcker||Birth and baptism or christening book|
|Födelse- och dopböcker Duplettserie||Birth and baptism or christening book double or second series|
|Församling||Parish or congregation|
|Husförhörslängd||Household examination record; also called clerical survey|
|kladdböcker||Draft copy of the church book|
|Lysning and vigselböcker||Banns and marriage book|
|Längder över nattvardsgäster (kommunionlängder)||Communion book|
|Räkenskaper för kyrka||Records of accounts for the church|
|Volum och år||Volume and year|
Help with the Language
These records are in Swedish so you will need to be able to understand written Swedish. For help with reading the records, please see the following wiki articles:
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- Genealogy Research in Sweden
- Genline : Swedish Genealogy Online
- Arkiv Digital: Swedish Church Records Online (in color)
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
- Sweden, Gavleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860," digital images, FamilySearch (https//familysearch.org: accessed 14 march, 2012), > Farila forsamling > C Fodelse- och dopbocker > 3, 1779-1861 image 202 of 295 images, entry #28 Baptism of Olof 1 Juni 1840 son o Olor Larsson Lindstrom och H Karin Olsdotter i Fone. From the National Archives of Sweden, Riksarkivet SVAR. FHL microfilm, 666 reels. Author Svenska kyrkan. Film #130131 Farila socken film. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.